Stored messages and expiration date?

I normally keep important messages and delete all the more common / answered ones to keep the mailbox clean, and as a result have messages from way back as a reference for certain things.

I'm trying to locate a message / conversation from earlier in 2018 but it seems to have disappeared, even though I still have earlier messages from other members.

Does this happen if someone leaves the forum - does all data, messages etc become deleted? I don't think forum posts do (photographs maybe) but does all else vanish?

I need a certain member's details, including his home address, but only had them as part of a private mail conversation; consequently I don't have his user name or any other details in any other format.

What's the situation regarding storage of messages?

Colin, 

only the member themselves can delete individual messages.  They don’t time expire and auto delete.  

As admin I could delete all your messages in one go, but I have no idea of their content.

looking at the settings for messages, it looks like the size of message box was restricted to a maximum of 50 messages.  Once that quota was reached you would have to delete unwanted messages to free up room.  

I’ve adjusted what I think is the limit setting, so hopefully the 50 message limit has now been lifted.

Kevin,

I've fallen foul of the 50 message limit, Mr Lewis phoned me up and said "Why aren't you talking to me?!!" 

Once I cleared some messages Pete's popped up, but what happens with a very old message? Is it still hanging around, waiting?

But, if Colin's read it, it can't be the 50 limit that's the problem, the old duffer's deleted it! :lol:

Won't lifting the limit cause excessive storage problems down the road?

Doug

3 hours ago, KevinR said:

looking at the settings for messages, it looks like the size of message box was restricted to a maximum of 50 messages.  Once that quota was reached you would have to delete unwanted messages to free up room.  

I think the max stored was about five, or that's what I've currently kept for some future reference or other..... most are deleted once they are read or replied to. I just find it very strange that this one has gone completely when all the others are still there, even older messages, so was wondering if he's left the club completely? (Taking my loaned items with him?)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/01/2019 at 20:02, Pete Lewis said:

Colin time to  call for serious seemingly unfriendly deposit on anything you loan out , with a book to keep a contact record 

Does aid  recovery  

Ive got a white board to doodle names on as reminders

Pete

It was actually a book I loaned out, to a prospective member seeking his first Triumph... but I think he's gone, and so has the book.... :)