Starter motor grating

daverclasper

Hi. Has done this occasionally for a while. Now getting quite frequent.  Grates and then seems like the pinion slides back. Will now do this for sometimes 3 attempts before pinion will engage with flywheel.  Worn starter pinion/ring gear, or something else please anyone?.

Thanks Dave

As Pete says, start there. It must move freely/smoothly.

I had an "odd" on on a spitfire. Starter didn't like engaging. But when it did was very healthy. Took it out, all looked/felt OK. But it carried on. In teh end I bought a NOS bendix assembly for under a tenner off fleabay, with the correct number of teeth.

When I swapped (borrowed a bendix spring tool, friend has owned it 40+ years and first time used!) it became obvious the old pinnion gear had the wrong number of teeth! There was also a shard of metal jammed right in there too, only obvious once apart, which must have been the issue.

I think originally the starters were supplied for specific cars, with a few variations in teeth count. But they probably all work, but not as well as the correct type. 

(and no, I can't remember the correct tooth count for a Triumph, but the info was easy enough to find)

Thanks a lot. Will put on my "never ending" to do list. Bit cold to work on car outside at the mo. Didn't bother me much when I was a "young un".

Just out of interest, are there alternative ways of removing pinion without the tool please. I imagine there hard to come by now, as well.

cheers, Dave

Edited by daverclasper

1 hour ago, daverclasper said:

Thanks a lot. Will put on my "never ending" to do list. Bit cold to work on car outside at the mo. Didn't bother me much when I was a "young un".

Just out of interest, are there alternative ways of removing pinion without the tool please. I imagine there hard to come by now, as well.

cheers, Dave

I bought one a while back on eBay for £1 so they still turn up; it's just like  a miniature suspension spring compressor and makes the job so easy. I suppose a pair of mole grips - one each side - might do the same job.

With regards to the Bendix itself I think (think!) our cars use 9 teeth, and while there are plenty of new ones out there, many are 10 teeth - does it make any difference? I've read that you can use both, but have also heard that using the 10 causes greater wear and possibly damage.

DSCF1927.jpg.14488960ccc670f2e66f1a52dc0a7fe0.jpg