Vinyl Trim Grain

p7rider

I'm looking to find what the original vinyl trim was, on a 79 1500 spitfire.

I've read this ,but still unsure of grain on houndstooth seats.

my car at the moment looks to have a mix of trim finishes.

Vinyl Grain:
There were two grains used on Spitfires: a small, smooth grain called Stag and a larger, rougher grain called 1290.

Mk1-3 used a smooth grain "Stag" vinyl
MkIV (70-73) used smooth grain "Stag"
MkIV (70-73) used coarse grain "1290"
1500's to comm FH113677 used a coarse grain "1290"
1500's comm FH113678 on used a smooth grain "Stag"

Cloth Inserts:
At commission number FH100020 (FM60006U) the cloth inserts were became available. The cloth's houndstooth insert was available in two colors: black (C11 or RAC) or tan (C74) with matching vinyl colors. At comm # FH113678 the houndstooth pattern changed to a slightly smaller pattern.

P7,

My GT6 has the late cloth seats which are a bit tired. Newton Commercial started to produce new seat covers which looked the business in their picture, so I sent for samples. What a disappointment! Nothing like the original and so thin they wouldn't have lasted long.  Newton are good at sending samples and I would never buy anything from them without seeing a sample first.

Doug

Not sure poor is fair. 

I ordered a few bits of trim from him, and understood that it would take a while. I did get an email when my trim was "in the pipeline" and a dispatch date appeared on his website. That was this week, but I am away. So I did email him, and within  24 hours I had an acknowledgement that the dispatch would be delayed a week to suit me. 

So no, you don't get an automated response and don't expect to get your order quickly, but timescales are clear on the site, and responses are quick enough bearing in mind he is a one man band doing good work at fair prices.

No critisism intended, but being a one man operation, Owen does what he's good at and he's very good at it. I have waited several weeks for replies to my enquiries and this forum has many posting about him not enjoying emails etc but what the hell, his stuff is worth the wait and certainly there is no better price for the quality.

Also, you can actually PHONE him.

His work is excellent and he is very accommodating. When he was recovering from his operation he asked on his site to hold off on small orders so he could clear his back log. I didn't see it until I'd ordered a couple of head rest foams. I phoned, apologised and said I'd cancel. He said "No,no,no" and  insisted on doing them. 

I'd like brown leather seat covers, but he only does black. However he'll make them if I source the leather. If you want real communication problems try getting leather samples out hide manufacturers, I email, I telephone, "Oh yes, no problem " And then, nothing. :(

Doug

If any of you have a local furniture upholsterer, go to him. I'm just back from my local man (who also has eighteen classic tractors!) and he has rolls of vinyl, all different shades, stacked around the workshop. I was able to match GT6 trim exactly from the rolls he had in stock. One previous upholsterer, who had sadly moved away, recovered my Herald dashboards to better than original. I'd say you can buy material locally far cheaper than bespoke car trim manufacturers.

I suspect that even an outfit such as Newton Commercial isn't large enough and  viable enough to be able to commission exact replication of original ICI Vynide and Ambla fabrics. From what I've seen in person and on their website, they seem to do reasonably well with materials that approximate those old vinyls, but they're not a perfect match. (And, for now, I'll leave the less popular colors and such out of this discussion, i.e., no Phantom Grey, Coffee, etc., as were used in Heralds when new!)