Vitesse top hose v. Alternator

iana

Hi Paul

That link doesn't seem to show the differences in angle that differentiates a 'V' from a 'wide V'.

I found a few sources when I was researching, but not sure I kept anything.

Another attached photo showing my current wide V GCB belt alongside the AVX10 and you can see how the edges of the AVX10 have cupped.

There's always something ready to trip us up !.

Ian

DSC_5858.jpg

think club shop use the fan belt type and length as shop part numbers

FROM THE CATALOGUE 

cant type all the varieties but as this depends on model year and suchlike   the lengths/type/width   should if not  feint or run upside down are/were   printed on your  belt.

GCB 11038/GCB11025/GCB11088/GCB11100/  

Pete

/

just looking for a replacement top hose and on ebay there are traders doing a complete set of hoses, the only one i need to replace is the top hose as its damaged - is it worth buying the complete set and keeping the others as spares or will they deteriorate in the store

Rimmers and others do just a top hose,  eg GRH263

Current orrible rubber doesnt store well   even on car the olde ones can be better than replacements of dubious  birth

,silicon sets have a lifetime warranty but do cost a lot more ££  

If you buy the set store in the dark and cool. 

Pete

NoS can be better than some modern offerings, but even old rubber has a shelf life

The answer is ......down to  preference,  at least a top hose is an easy change without much coolant losses.

nothing lasts for ever ,    

Some say hoses have become a annual service  change due to their ability to crack, split, blown , 

The w pump bypass on my 2000 has lasted 2 years and inards have seperated

Pete

right decided to shorten the bracket, is this ok, I could turn the backet to Emile the spacer but the bracket will need further adaption.

just need to measure fan belt now and get one. The old belt was a 10A1085, the bit of bracket I chopped off was 45mm to the centre of the bolt hole, so simply do I need a 10A1040? 

2A63051E-0D41-4DDF-B841-DF98452DEBDA.jpeg

BE13BA58-F661-4EC8-AB7D-8517B576A79D.jpeg

No as the length change to the strap is not proportional to the overall length /diameter  of the belt 

I would suggest if no other way to measure what you need is to simulate the previous position wrap a cord around the pullies and measure its length ,, then get the revised position and repeat , the difference is what you need to change the 1085 too

It obviously wont give the belt length but will give the difference

Pete

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Cut the old belt wrap it around the pulleys, the overlap is the reduction in length.

Regards

Paul

That was my last resort to finding the correct new length fan belt , I'd measured the new length with a piece of electrical flex and came up with 1040mm - I then did as Pete suggested and this indicated a difference of 40mm on the 1085mm belt, so 1045mm .

Small point (or maybe not) but... some of those photos look to me as if the alternator pulley is not in line with the crank and water pump pulleys. You may need to adjust your assorted packing to get them lined up. It makes a fair difference to belt life.