Vitesse top hose v. Alternator

iana

Just working through the various bits and pieces and I was checking the hoses etc, the clearance between the alternator and the hose is minimal as attached photo - the hose has a small amount of damage where it had been clipped - any ideas / suggestions?

CB2E3B7E-0C21-4502-8838-C343D37C6908.jpeg

Your alternator is fitted with a GT6 adjuster bar. My Vitesse was converted to alternator using the late Spitfire setup and does not suffer that problem. You can get the bracket from the usual suppliers but note that you'll also need a shorter fan belt.

Johny got there before me!

NM has the reason why, but before flashing the cash I would saw an inch off the end of the bracket. A bit bodgey maybe or bend it a right angles would make it look more like "it's supposed to be like that!"

Doug

• Like 1

I converted my Vit with a Mk4 Spitfire alternator mount and adjuster bracket, as Non-member says. Using both items will move the Alternator closer to the cylinder head. Clearance to alternator fan is still quite close, but much better than your existing set up.

Gav

The other option is to get a length of universal coolant hose and cut that a few cm longer than the original in the photo; less expensive and less faff.

Regards.

Richard.

Whatever you do the rear mounting lug has a slide spacer which allows for the case expansions, needs to be equi either side of the lug

There are some hight temperature changes in alternators and the rear lug will fracture if its mounted solid with no room to self position

The split bush you see in daves pics is quite a tight fit but does allow the lug to move 

Pete

As contact with the fan is the problem I go with Pete's suggestion of rotaing the top hose. Loosen the clip on the thermostat housing and twist the hose round on the exit pipe and its middle should rise or lower depending on rotation direction....

The smaller diameter tube/bush at the rear is the part im talking about , its normally a light press fit and goes right through the rear mounting lug   so when all nipped up you should see some of  this bush protruding  each side of the rear lug  with the bolt through clamping onto the bush not the lug

Thus as the case heats and expands the rear lug can move up and down the bush,  

This idea was introduced on alternators with 3 mounting lugs  way back in the late 60s /70s without some allowed movement the lugs will soon break 

If that makes any sense without a picture 

Pete

• Thanks 1

The long term solution is to fit the correct mounting and adjusting brackets. These were available from a number of the spares suppliers. The mounting bracket (Block) was fitted to the Mk2 2000/2500 Saloon, TR6 ,Spitfire Mk4/1500, Toledo and Dolomite 1300/1500. The adjusting bracket was fitted to the Mk2 2000/2500 Saloon and TR6.

There was the GT6 Mk2/3 mounting and adjusting brackets which mount the alternator in a lower position, but are now very rare and difficult to find.

The brackets you have are for the original dynamo set-up hence the clearance problems.

In the sort term shorten the adjusting bracket and fit a smaller diameter fan belt.

I did an article in the Courier in Feb 2004 on the conversion to an  alternator.

Dave

Agree with the above, I used a dolomite 1500 engine bracket and originally just shortened the adjuster by drilling a new hole for the engine fixing bolt and cut of the excess.

I have one of the GT6 alternator mounting brackets but it is not needed for the Vitesse.

Regards

Paul

IMG_20190323_093336.jpg

• Like 1

this shows the 'slip 'bush in the rear lug, 

at the end of the day providing the front standoff aligns the pullies, and there is either seperate bolts for front and rear or along bolt

and a spacer,    all with the slip bush,  with it  equally positioned  and the adjuster strap is formed to clear the hose  i cant see what you use makes any realistic problem,  

Image result for pic of 17acr alternator

Ok after taking the bottom mount apart, it has got the slip tube, and the spacer (I think you were right Paul - it’s a seat belt spacer!) 

My plan now is to shorten the top bracket and get a new fan belt - I’ll pick up the correct bits when I next order stuff and fit them over winter

• Like 1

Ian

My recent experience with fan belts has taught me that not all  belts are equal.

I tried a couple of AVX10 belts (made by PIX) and had delamination failure of the outer edge of the belt.

I found after some research that there are actually 'V belts and 'wide V belts' (I don't recall the angles) and what was happening is that the narrow V belt  is sitting too low in the pulley and stressing the outer edge. I have now fitted a GCB belt and it has solved the problem. Length will need to suit your application and it can be a bit trial end error.

Photo of the failed AVX10 belt alongside a Unipart original.

Ian

DSC_5837.jpg