Mintex 1144 - no longer rattly

Waynebaby

Hi All,

I recently fitted a set of Mintex 1144 pads to my GT6, and after following Pete's guidance for bedding them in I have to say that the improvement in performance of the brakes with the new pads is excellent. I have noticed however that the new pads rattle from time to time - usually after a few miles of 60 mph+ driving without using the brakes. Slow down to drive through a town and its NAKANAKANAKANAKA for a couple of miles before they quieten down. Has anybody else found this issue with the Mintex pads and is there anything that can be done stop it? I know that noisy pads is a small price to pay for actually being able to stop as quickly as the car in front, but it is a bit embarrassing!

Wayne

It sounds to me like the pistons are withdrawing into the calipers as you drive and don't brake and allow the pad to move - and it takes a couple of miles of repeated braking to make them stay in a bit more and stop the rattle.

Or, probably more likely, its something else I hadn't even thought of or knew about 😉

Its not uncommon , yes there can be pads with big holes and  calipers with small pins  which can clatter ,the mix and match of 16p and 16pb pin sizes (unified vs metric)

do you have the metal anti squeel shims,  with the edge loading springs ??  Dont use the orrible plastic pads

Agree too much hub end float can excite a clatter

Pete

Hi Chaps,

The old pads were silent, these are the right mintex pads (big holes with large diameter pins), I've fitted the old steel anti-squeal shims and the hub end float is fine, so I'm not sure what the problem is. There is a slight warp on one of the disks so perhaps the "grabbier" pad material is, well, grabbing the disk when it is warm? (having said that, the pedal is nice and hard, so there is no evidence of pad knock back). What are the edge loading springs you speak of Pete?  I don't have any anti-rattle springs fitted.

Wayne

its the std steel shim they  have a folded sprung  leaf  to add some small load the edge of the pad, 

have a picture on laptop not on this silly tablet 

also note the arrow to remind  direction of disc  rotation

think club shop  sell this type.

link to club shop photo  https://shop.tssc.org.uk/product/pad-and-pin-set-m16-imperial

pete

51 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

its the std steel shim they  have a folded sprung  leaf  to add some small load the edge of the pad, 

pete

Many thanks Pete,

My shims don't have the spring bits so I'll get a set and see if that quietens things down. 

Wayne

• Waynebaby changed the title to Mintex 1144 - no longer rattly

Silence is golden

It never fails to impress me what a great resource the forum is and how invaluable the advice can be. As suggested, some anti-rattle springs quietened my noisy pads. 

Looking at the pin holes on the Mintex pads, I can't see how they can ever be quiet without the use of anti-rattle springs because the holes are lozenge shaped. When you spin the wheel too and fro you can hear them clacking back and forth in the calipers. If anybody is thinking of up-rating their brakes to use Mintex pads and the calipers don't have anti-rattle springs already fitted, then it would be worth getting some at the same time.

Wayne