Gt6 mk3 dash H piece

Dolomitejohn

Hi all. 

Spent 2 hours trying to fit the h piece. Gave up. What a mare.  The new plastic tunnel seems to sit slightly higher than the card item, probably due to the lip on the plastic cover.   

But my question is regarding the h piece to floor fixings. Do the heads of these bolts sit on top of the h piece foot? I assume so as the holes in the h piece are drilled same diameter all way through.    Also should the carpet  sit under the foot or should the cat pet bet cut to sit around the foot? 

Cheers all. 

John 

Hi John,

On my Spitfire at least the bolt heads do sit on the frame feet and are bolted directly to the chassis through cutout slots in the carpet. I do sympathise, removing the h frame and the gearbox tunnel is my least favourite task on the car (maybe on a par with swapping the differential) and I have cut trap doors for checking the gearbox oil level and changing the speedometer angle drive, and I have also fitted a remote bleeding tube for the clutch slave cylinder just to reduce the number of times I have to tackle this fiddly task. 

The holes in the chassis do fill up with carpet fibres, fluff and general crud and this can make the bolts hard to do up fully. If in doubt, do have a dig around with a thin screwdriver or blow it out with a straw.

Good luck!

Adrian

I've just put the carpet in over my tunnel and put the H piece back, my tunnel also had the lip and I had to double up on the rubber seal. The carpet goes under the H piece feet which raises the H piece slightly and gives a bit more room over the tunnel. On mine the H is a tight fit between floor and dash without the carpet, I locate it on the dashboard underside and "walk" it into position incrementally, left right, left right, at the bottom.

You have to make holes in the carpet to get the bolts through, I had to put the H piece in, locate the chassis holes and poke a hole through the carpet. Then take it all out, enlarge the poke holes and re-install it again.

The bolts are shiny chrome and there should be chrome washers directly onto the top of the feet.  The bolts at the back are slightly longer than the front, Gully told me "Get them wrong and you can strip the thread". I don't know why Triumph did this, 4 short ones will do fine, Which is probably why only the short ones are currently available.

Doug

Hi guys thanks. 

I can't even see threads in the floor captive nuts. As for the carpet, previous owners have hacked a hole I the carpet, too big for bolts but too small for the feet.  I insulated the underside of tunnel with foil covered foam. Used this to double up on seal. 

The whole dash is a nightmare. So many fixings and little brackets needed, most of which are missing on my wreck. 

Having said that I did drive it last night round my village. Oh the loudness and sound. Managed to scare every pedestrian I passed.  Gearbox works, axle works (whines on over run), clutch and brakes work, fuel tank OK (for now) and all electrics work. 

So not far away from having my very scruffy gt6 on the road. 

😊

John

John,

Well done! I'm afraid the carpets go like that without POs' assistance. I have a foot rest on the tunnel, the hole in the old carpet had grown to a ragged 6"s. I cut a new hole in the new carpet and stitched binding tape around it. Others cutting holes for bolts in the carpet recommend a soldering iron to singe and seal the carpet.

I think the thread in the floor hole is someway down the hole, I'd try the bolts without H piece or carpets first.

Doug

Hi Doug. Thanks for tip on soldering iron for carpet edges. Need to cut mine as discretely as pos for quick release when a bit of water comes in via doors (Vit saloon). Have tried every tip/method I reckon, though happens in heavy/prolonged rain. 

By the way. Hoped you received my PM to you about receiving carb diaphrams. Thanks a lot.

Dave

Edited by daverclasper

Dave there should be a poly sheet shower curtain ie sheet of thin poly taped to the bottom of the glass slide so when window is up

Any water that goes inside the door drops to the bottom of the carcass not aimed onto the door cards

It then runs out the door drain holes not inside the car

Crude but effective

Pete

54 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Dave there should be a poly sheet shower curtain ie sheet of thin poly taped to the bottom of the glass slide so when window is up

Pete

Bag from oven-clean kit works fine as it's strong/thick to seal in chemicals that will eat you.

Cheers,

Iain.

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:11, dougbgt6 said:

The bolts at the back are slightly longer than the front, Gully told me "Get them wrong and you can strip the thread". I don't know why Triumph did this, 4 short ones will do fine,

Doug

I did not know this was a design feature, I always thought my two long and two short was mismatched set. It is useful to put the long ones in first as they usefully compress the carpet a bit and make the short ones easier. I have just refitted the tunnel and interior and was really quite pleased with myself after the first proper run today, however I am now upset as a don't have the chrome washers under my chrome dome headed bolts ! ;)

Ian