H Frame help, Mk3 Spit

s99sdp

Thanks Pete,

One thing I have is patience and i'm confident I'd done everything before coming to the conclusion of cutting the frame. I'm not the best with tools but I tried to just make the same shape of the frame, just bigger. I'll post a pic at the weekend to close the thread off....and give you all a laugh 😁

SP

4 minutes ago, DanMi said:

I got rid of the vinyl gaitor as the early cars didn't have them originally. I think part of the problem is the bulk of the seams on the carpet, originals were molded not sewn

You're right Dan that definitely contributes towards the difficulty in fitting the frame. I wanted the frame in place mainly so the choke could be used without the dash flexing and I'm confident it will look ok when it's in so fingers crossed for the weekend when I finally position it.

SP 

Hello all, I can confirm I have successfully fitted the H frame today. As I mentioned before, I cut the frame, basically kept the same shape but cut it larger.

Sorry about the mess in the rest of the car, it's now been hoovered within an inch of its life.

IMG_0512.JPG

Please don't be offended if I say no, to either request. 😁

There's no way it would have fitted without cutting it, I was just careful that I made the same shape larger. If you live close I don't mind coming to help?

No offence taken. Kettering is well away from me. Getting the frame in on a MkIv Spit is not really too bad but, as mentioned earlier in your thread, putting the radio in was an absolute pain. I rarely use it and was thinking of following Doug's example and fitting a blanking plate instead if the radio and fitting three gauges. More useful and quieter.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my daughters Mk2 eons ago when I replaced the gearbox carpet ex UK supply nice and thick molded type. It all fitted with the old raggedy thin caret or without the carpet and fiberglass gearbox cover, my solution was to cut the carpet into 2 one piece in front of the fitted H frame and one the gearstick side, I did a lot of measuring to ensure you couldn't see any gap to the H frame when fitted or operating the gearstick, yes you can see the carpet move a little when changing gear but it doesn't dislodge or needed adjustment of the carpet in 15yrs even when the H frame is removed for maintenance it all goes back OK.

You mightn't like the solution but it works well, another problem I had was the hold down bolts stripped as the welded bar on the top of the chassis they bolt into is blind ie not tapped or drilled through the chassis. I had to drill them out/right through then Helicoil the flat welded bar.

My daughter is an Aero Space Engineer and even tho she's been brought up with Triumphs and Jags she doesn't like wooden dash's so I had to replace the dash and instrument mounted gauges in the radio hole with carbon fiber sheet, try jig sawing out the instrument holes the c/f blunts cheap jig saw blades in seconds. Must admit it looks good and different.

Peter T