H Frame help, Mk3 Spit

s99sdp

Hello wise and wonderful friends,

I'm having trouble fitting my H frame. I've just installed dodo matting soundproof sheets and they're quite thin, on top of that I installed a set of carpets from Rimmers  that I was gifted (lucky me)

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the H frame in place, either the gear stick is in the way or I cant get legs down far enough to be able to get the top of the frame anywhere near the correct position.

Can anyone give me any pointers on where I'm going wrong? Or if anyone has a video clip it would be appreciated, it seems the tunnel is just too big bit its an original cardboard tunnel, not a new plastic one.

As always, any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

(pic below of the car, its coming along nicely)
SP

IMG_0420.JPG

As far as I am aware the H  frame is bolted directly to the steel work and not over carpets or sound proofing.

The car looks really good. Have you swapped the indicator/sidelight units intensionally? I know some owners do.

Danny

Hi Danny, 

1 minute ago, DannyS said:

As far as I am aware the H  frame is bolted directly to the steel work and not over carpets or sound proofing.

The car looks really good. Have you swapped the indicator/sidelight units intensionally? I know some owners do.

Danny

Doesn't the H frame go over the top of the carpet thats glued to the gearbox tunnel?

I'm guessing I may have to cut the carpet out where the feet of the H frame bolts to the floor but I cant even get the legs to straddle the tunnel. I was wondering if anyone else has struggled or if I've performed a school boy error. Something which I'm really good at.

Regarding the indicators/sidelights.....I could try to style it out and say that I'd planned it this was round but I'll be totally honest and say I have just fitted them as I thought they were supposed to be. Obviously not 😂😂

I've seen pictures of them both ways and as I'll be mainly using the car in daylight I just decided the put the indicators on the outside.

Couple more pics.......

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

Yes, the the frame does go over the carpet on the transmission tunnel, sorry for the confusion.

Great photos, I also have a MK3 1967 so there are a few differences, i.e, reversing lights, spread of wipers, steering wheel.

Danny

My brother and father have a '68 and a '67 respectively. I thought about going for the earlier model look when I had the rear valance replaced but I stuck with the its original ugly reversing cluster.

I didnt realise the wipers were different, every one of these cars seem to be made to order 😀

Fitting the H frame is hard enough but when you then try to fit a full depth radio that is something else! I was given a nice Sharp job which, at the time I didn't realise was one of those that slides out of an external shell to lock in the boot or take walkies. Never again, put in the shell.. fine but then you can't slide the radio in because of the gear stick. Got it in eventually but if anyone tries to nick it, it could be a long job. The irony is I very rarely use it these days. Might follow Doug's example and take it out and fill the space with gauges and dials

The H frame feet sit on top of the carpet. Put the gear stick in 2nd or 4th, then the top of the H frame goes in first locating on the dash. Wiggle the H frame legs in left right, left right, until they're over the locating holes. Puncture the carpet with a screw driver and take the H piece out (Yes, sorry) enlarge the holes in the carpet so the bolts go through. Do it all again, insert bolts, the rear are longer than the front, don't know why!

Doug

It's a pain of a job. I have been known to use longer bolts to slowly pull the frame down, swapping to shorter as it goes into place. I just use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the bits of excess carpet from the holes.  With the combination of pattern carpets and possibly gearbox cover it can be a tight fit, I know mine is especially as most new carpets have the vinyl gearlever gaitor sewn on to a non molded carpet which makes it pretty thick just where the frame sits.  

16 hours ago, s99sdp said:

I've just installed dodo matting soundproof sheets and they're quite thin, on top of that I installed a set of carpets from Rimmers  that I was gifted (lucky me)

If you've put the dodo matting on the outside of the tunnel underneath the carpet it's going to make fitting the H piece that much tighter. Snug enough as it is!

On 17/04/2019 at 21:32, thescrapman said:

Getting the H frame in is a bit of an art.

you have to hook it over the gearstick and then pull the feet towards you as you push the top backwards. 

You may need to lift the dash up to get the top in fully, then heave the feet to their final position.

IMG_0447.thumb.JPG.221efd57db30bf4a1f3e513922059fbf.JPG

This is miles out, do I take the dash knobs up and lift the dash? It seems quite solid and only flexes back and forth a little.

SP

If you can lift the dash, the car needs major sill repair, which it doesn't look like is the case. That just looks like it is being blocked by the carpet and the bulk of the gear lever gaitor, mine is similar. I would first try fitting it without the carpet in place. For me it is a case of pulling the carpet forward as the frame goes in.

By the way that looks a lot like an younger sibling of my car

after2.jpg

The dash doesnt move up, the bottom of the dash that meets the H frame just rocks back and forth, obviously because the H frame stops that happening when its in place.

The sills were replaced when I had the body work worked on. I must had told the 500 times to brace and support the car, 500 times they told me that they knew what they were doing, I'll take the carpet out but I fear I'll have to cut the H frame to get it in.

I think my car may be your car's son!

SP

Don't cut the frame, the frame is correct ie as it came from the factory, the rest needs looking at, ie the fit of the gearbox tunnel (I had to trim my plastic one a bit) if not the cardboard original, is any insulation/the carpet getting in the way. I pull mine down from the position yours is in with longer bolts into the floor

Try pulling all the tunnel carpet and any sound deadening etc of and see if that is the issue. And work from there. 

How much lower are the horizontal, dash, holes from where they should be? If out by much I would be surprised the doors shut! It may be possible to literally jack the dash upto get the H frame in. Or a final way could be to cut the H frame down, but last resort. (or have a word with those who "knew what they were doing" and ask them to rectify?)

When that was all bolted in it fitted perfectly which was a weight off my mind I can tell you. I think I'll take the advice above and use some threaded bolt to pull it down in to place then swap it over one by one for the chrome topped proper bolts.

I have some threaded bolt here but the thread isn't the same, anyone know the correct size I should use?

SP

19 minutes ago, clive said:

I would say 5/16unf. The top bolts are 1/4"unf. Or 6mm will be fine..... Needs decent sized washers.

Hi Pete, I have 6 mm threaded bolt here but didnt use it at the threads seemed different?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I indeed purchased 5/16 threaded rod and proceeded to attempt to pull down the frame somewhere close to being in the correct place.

Notice how I typed....'attempt to pull'.

In the 'attempt to pull' and fit,  I totally destroyed the brand new rubber gear stick gaiter and the leather gaiter on the gearbox cover carpet.

I can confirm there was no way on gods green earth that the frame was going to fit. There was more chance of the guy that works down the chip shop who swears he's Elvis, actually being Elvis. And I can confirm, no one thinks he's Elvis.

There was more chance of Lord Lucan turning up at my door, along with Richey Edwards from The Manic Street Preachers whilst the Loch Ness Monster swam up the Ise River near by to oversee the work.

I could go on but I think you get the idea. Basically it wasn't fitting. So I cut it to fit 😥 ......and now it fits....over the wrecked gaiters 😊😊😊.

SP