Hood

As long as there are no differences ie hood sticks on early models and frame on later which may affect either the fitting or the useage... I think early cars may have used sticks / rods but don't know how this affects the way the hood fits or is put up / down. The hood itself may be a one-size-fits-all these days so no problems, but it's best to check.

12 hours ago, Chris Bracey said:

Will a mk1v hood fit a spitfire 1500? 

Yes.

Only difference is the later hoods (can't remember year) had clip on plastic bits on the side bits of the frame, but they swap, or don't bother.

10 minutes ago, rlubikey said:

I had to do a double-take, but I think that's a Mk4 (Oy-Vay) fitting a 1500. Agree, same body tub, hood frame, so yes.

Cheers, Richard

Aha! That clears it up! All I saw was the MK1 bit... no glasses on this morning. As you say, yes no problem in fit.

• Haha 1

3 types of hoods used on the cars.

MK1+2 with the DIY hoodsticks.

MK3 with the slightly clunky hoodframe (that doesn't clear a rollbar unless it is a special honged type) Here teh hoodframes are early with the hood catches from herald/vitesse, later had levers.

MKIV/1500. Better frame action... all used the levers but later had clip on plastic bits, usually lost.

Don hoods supply decent hoods at good prices. But never buy the economy option, the extra few quid is very worthwhile.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, clive said:

Don hoods supply decent hoods at good prices. But never but the economy option, the extra few quid is very worthwhile.

Very true. A cheap hood will always look cheap, and some of the vinyl ones I remember from Spitfires I had lasted about two years before they split.

Handy if you dont like the look of the weather and dont want to go out with the hood down. Windows down, rear panel down. Quicker to sort out if if starts raining. Mine zips on three sides, hinges at the base.

Just had a look for a MkIV hood on the club shop pages but nothing listed that I could find. Also noted that there are a lot of other items listed with no photo or poor descriptions. I suppose that will improve with the next upgrade but doesn't impress new members to shop there when fleabay is all singing/dancing

The zip out is rather nice.

Downside of my car is you can't get to it, as I have a rollbar with a polycarbonate wind deflector (that is brilliant, really cuts the buffeting at high speeds, and I am talking 100mph plus being perfectly fine. Genuinely on the autobahns)

Update

Sorry, just found the MkIV hoods and bags by trawling through the individual pages on the 'exterior trim' pages. I had originally clicked hoods/spitfire.. which is an empty link. The exterior trim page has a total mishmash of mirrors, hoods, bags, wipers etc. To be fair, a search on MkIV hood found two, but the whole shop thing does need a good update fairly soon in this day of ecommerce. I know its a huge job but if the club shop wants to get more trade and survive it really needs doing fairly quickly to make it the first port of call for parts etc.

Thanks Pete. I don't want to make waves or upset anyone, well not this time. As you can tell from my posts I get a lot of stuff off the internet and always forget about the club shop but when I remember its a pain to navigate so usually end up on fleabay JP, Rims or Can. The shop/club is losing a lot of business. Needs to sell itself first...then product (my view after 30 years in retail, 40 in customer service)