Swing Spring conversion for early Vitesse

My early 2L has swing spring but it was fitted by a previous owner so I don't have a back-to-back comparison experience. She does handle quite well - certainly better than the Mk1 saloon I had as my first car but that's not necessarily down to the spring.

i fitted a canley kit to my 1600 saloon, 

it turned into a nightmare of negative camber and bottomed out shockers and ever lowering ride heights 

it came off after much trial and no tribulation   and i  went for a courier spring and drop plate ....wonderful   on rails 

maybe  unlucky,  a conv  has a little   less roll than a saloon   but roundabouts were  like on a boat ,Hopeless

and with 4 up she just sat on the bump stops in the shockers , so no ride quality .just solid  

pete

I have a saloon and my reason for changing is partly cosmetic. The rear wheels tuck in at the bottom even when just sitting in the garage, it just looks a bit odd!

i don’t really drive it hard enough to worry about cornering but would like it to look ‘normal’.

Bob, do you back into your garage? If so it might be the tracking - maybe excessive toe-out which causes tuck-under when reversing.

If not then it sounds like a lowering block would be a cheaper way of doing things. It just bolts between the spring and diff.

The trouble with new springs is they seem to be a bit of a lottery and the swing spring, being for the lighter Spitfire, is already going to be a bit soft for a Herald/Vitesse saloon or estate.

Cheers, Richard

a lowering block will correct the positive camber aspect  they come in 1/2"  3/4"  1"  thicknesses 

so  you can start with 1\2"  if more add another  , bit of a faf  and you may  need the longer studs in the diff , 

if its just the orrible appearance you are not alone,, fit a block much cheaper fix and keep the orig  spring 

if i was to venture thise route thats the way i would have gone , you learn as you sort the myths form reality 

a block will reduce the camber 

Pete

In response to all, I drive in to the garage. Yes it is primarily the appearance I want to change. I previously had a 12/50 Herald and its back wheels were vertical in appearance compared to my Vitesse.

If I used a lowering block, what if any effect would this have on the front of the car?

I will add a pic if it stops raining this week !!!!

Bob

Just a thought!! If the previous owner had removed the rear suspension and then when re-fitting tightened up the spring eye bolts and damper bolts without setting the car to its ride height, could this effect the rare wheel angle??

I'd like to think that it would reset to the proper angle after some use; there should be some swivel movement in the trunnions and spring bushes!

Do you have the correct halfshafts? Short instead of long would create this effect, but maybe they're still the originals?

10 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Do you have the correct halfshafts? Short instead of long would create this effect, but maybe they're still the originals?

All Vitesses had short shafts, so it's not likely to be that.

It could be seized trunnions. I've certainly heard of (rear) trunnion bush kits being supplied with steel tubes that were too short. You tighten then up (with the car on axle stands) and the upright clamps solid to the hub through the bushes, instead of clamping the tube and being able to pivot, resulting in a car that never fully loses that "just been jacked" look.

pretty much all herald and vitesse apart  from mk2   have a rear susn \==/  not 

[==]    they looked awwfull in the 60s and still look awfull  today 

A block  is  the   simplest  and cheapest solution it wont affect the front end much and less  camber sit a bettter and little  lower at the back, not enough to upset the balance

Pete

Rear camber in the WSM ranges roughly   from1.5 to 2.5 deg neg. Depends on model and evolution  And thats LADEN unladen will seriously increase the negative  as all can see following most swing axle cars 

Fit a block no hazards of upsetting load rates , just makes the wheel .look  ....normal   amd its a cheap reliable fix

Pete

5 hours ago, Bobtaylor said:

I have a saloon and my reason for changing is partly cosmetic. The rear wheels tuck in at the bottom even when just sitting in the garage, it just looks a bit odd!

i don’t really drive it hard enough to worry about cornering but would like it to look ‘normal’.

How many miles has your car done Bob? Im surprised your spring is still like this as by now an original should have flattened out to give at least vertical wheels. Maybe its not an original or, if it is, never carried more than just the driver but either way I agree a block will sort it out.

I reckon a   1/2" block will give you what you are looking for  it will give you |==|   following any with a negative rear is never going to set the world on fire ,  whatever you do  re check the rear toe in   which needs 150 lbs loaded on each seat   or get rent a crowd round for tea

This sets the  static ride height which drives all suspension specifications you need parallel to 2mm toe in at the rear

See the post  search  about  Toe In the simple  Way 

Pete

Certainly looks like the halfshaft is running quite close to the chassis rail Bob (or is that an optical illusion) although I know once the driver's in it the car will settle some. Mines done 80k easy miles now on the original spring and the wheels sit pretty much vertical with nobody in it....