Vitesse wheels and tyres

Hi All,

I’m new to the forum and am about to get my 1968 Vitesse Mk2 convertible back on the road after quite a time laid up.

I’ve looked back over old articles which have been really helpful but still not sure on which wheel tyre combination to go for, she currently has a mix of old odd ones on her so don’t know what’s original. (What is the original wheel tyre size for this?). Looking to go with minilites. I think my car would have been 4.5J but lots seem to go slightly wider and I would be tempted to go 5J but am confused on the best size tyres to go for with this, I don’t want to interfere with speedo or ride height.

Also on tyre makes should I be looking for a classic or vintage tyre for the right look? Or are modern tyres quite acceptable? Trying to keep the budget sensible at end of rebuild but tyres are important so branded not budget, for general road use. Short list Dunlop Streetwise 2, Falken SN832, Pirelli cinturato CN36 (dependent on size/availability).

Advice gratefully received. 

The nearest tyre size to the original 155x80x13 rolling radius are 175x70x13. You should use 5J on these larger tyres.

Beware of larger sizes than 175 as these could foul the body. Even these can cause problems if the suspension is lowered. 

165x80x13 will cause the speedo to read slow, whereas 165x70x13 will cause the speedo to read fast. Though with this size there is far less problems with fouling the body work. Plus you can use the original 4.5j wheels.

Dave 

Re tyres, I have personal experience of the Falken SN832. They are a truly excellent wet weather tyre,and I bought them after a friend did a trackday (in a vitesse) in the pouring rain where they just gripped when everybody else was sliding about. And yes,that was recommendation enough for me! And being brutally honest, they are not the very best dry weather tyre, but still good. However, the best dry tyres are often struggling in the wet... and when are you most likely to need the grip??

However, I am sure you would not be disappointed with either of the others you have short listed.  

As to tyre patterns. unless you are after a showcar where you get marks for original tyre tread, why would you not benefit from 50 years of advances? Honestly, if driving the car, buy modern tyres.

Another vote for JBW Minilites - 5J X 13. I bought mine in their Black Friday sale last year (25% off, so 4 for the price of 3). Cheaper than refurbishing my old Minilites.

I put 175/70 R13 tyres on mine - Toyo NonoEnergy 3 from Black Circles. Very happy with them.

Gully

I did the same as Gully and got mine - but with tyres as well from JBW - they didn't have the size of wheel I selected originally - or the tyres - but at no additional cost to me, went up a wheel width and tyre make. I've just looked up the invoice for them as I couldn't remember what I got 😂

5.5x 13" and 165/70 Falken tyres and 12 x 1.5mm taper chrome nuts. (I uprated the wheel studs using freelander ones) - The whole lot came to £365

I'd say stick with the original wheels and the 155/80R13 tyres but then I'm not a fan of minilites. Regardless of wheels, though, you should use a narrower or at least rounder tyre because that's what the suspension was designed for. Fat, square tyres just don't work well on Vitesses. I run 175/70 on my Rotoflex GT6 and that's OK (but they are a classic-friendly shape). The other two are on 155s because they're both swing-spring.