spitfire 1500 number plate effecting cooling

Chris Bracey

On 23/04/2020 at 18:59, yorkshire_spam said:

Mine got temporarily relocated in 2014 when I had cooling problems using a couple of cable ties and never got moved back. (Spitfire on the right!)

DSC_0948.thumb.JPG.b625e22c22105731de1b1b943bee95dc.JPG

Lovely pic. Raiders (still miss him) saloon before the pig gate incident? That was the first big run in our Spitfire. And yes, the 28 year old fan did pack up on the first day!

1 hour ago, clive said:

Lovely pic. Raiders (still miss him) saloon before the pig gate incident? That was the first big run in our Spitfire. And yes, the 28 year old fan did pack up on the first day!

2017 Clive, Raider's car but Bryce and his friend driving. 😞 Somewhere near the top of the San Bernadino pass IIRC. He didn't make it to the mountains in 2015 after the Hogs of the Czech Republic incident.

Sorry, I had assumed pic was taken 2014. Should have been obvious as 10CRs are odd years. Been a very long, stressful day. And thinking about it, 29015 was our first 10CR. Got car of teh event too (which was really very unexpected. There are some seriously good previous and since awardees)

4 minutes ago, clive said:

Sorry, I had assumed pic was taken 2014. Should have been obvious as 10CRs are odd years. Been a very long, stressful day. And thinking about it, 29015 was our first 10CR. Got car of teh event too (which was really very unexpected. There are some seriously good previous and since awardees)

Not to worry Clive, 2015 was our first 10CR too. I should have been clearer that the photo was much later than when I moved the plate.

Running a Spitfire 1500 since 1984 I made brackets that where fixed to the front chassis rail and had two sets of holes in the number plate one set for enter and the other for summer. The winter ones move the number plate up to block the air flow and the summer one moved it down to increase air flow. Also BL recommended changing thermostats.

Only on odd occasions did I have problems when stuck in traffic on hot days but controlled temp by having heater on.

Similarly I have done the same thing with my GT6, seems to cure all ills.

Standard reads in both.

Always puzzled by all this talk of bidder rads,  etc back then we ensured cooling systems were looked after, but alas world temps have increased.

Note, both cars are no longer every day cars, so not so critical.

Graham

• 3 months later...

P7rider, do you have a photo of the stick on version on your car and also can anyone tell me where to get the individual letters please? I hate the numberplate stuck on the front of my 1500 Spit...

Cheers

tanky