Cover sills

NickT

Hi all. My vitesse convertible has just had the bodywork restored and they have put the cover sill on the outside,which looks wrong as any water would go between the surfaces rather than run out. Do the cover sill go on the inside or the outside of the inner sill?. Any info would be appreciated.Cheers Nick 

Yes, photo needed, as I don't recognise "cover sills" in this context. Vitesses have very simple, single skin, open sills - just a quarter cylinder with a flange on the top to attach to the wings/treadplates/bulkhead and two or three small brackets fixing them to the chassis at the bottom.

3 hours ago, NickT said:

Hopefully there should be some photos. I thought the outer sill was called a cover sill. I may be wrong. Cheers Nick 

20190709_065528.jpg

Nick - Am I missing something here. It looks like the sill is only rivetted on or has it been spot welded or chemically bonded.

they appear to be /are just large flat head pop rivets 

Used some similar on my Vit6 , but  did have  the sills on the right way round 

i wonder if they unadvisedly used the sill to hide a right wonky and rotted step panel flange ??? its close double skined and does attract rust 

Pete

The original fixing method was Spire clips on the sill and then Posi-drive self tapping screws through the double skinned tread plate into the spire clips and also a couple of screws through the lower front bulkhead into the sill spire clips.

A number of bracing pieces along the bottom of the sill (5 or 6 I think) fixed with similar spire clips onto the side rails of the chassis and again pozi-drive screws

Regards

Gary

Hi Pete.

The flange was ok. I had a look at it as they were doing the work. Didn't know they'd done it like this till I got it back. Just thought it strange. They're not the sharpest tools in the box! I'm afraid. I'm a precision engineer by trade so a bit picky sometimes. Gonna see what they say tomorrow. Cheers for info guys. Nick