Pistons Symmetry?

Phil C

Hi, back so soon! 

Just a question regarding the County Pistons supplied for my Vitesse rebuild.

They have no arrow on the crown indicating which way round they should be installed.

The supplier (a nationally respected engine builder/refinisher) says that they are symmetrical and can therefore be installed either way round.

The old pistons removed prior to re-bore did indicate which way they should be installed so I guess are asymmetrical.

I don't recall coming across symmetrical pistons before albeit my experience is predominately motorcycles!

Does it matter?

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

AFAIK this also applies to the OE pistons as well even though they do have direction markings.

Yes, I have now measured my old pistons and they are indeed symmetrical but still with direction markings. Perhaps something to do with the thrust side being different/stronger?

Having had further discussion today with the supplier, they went back to County Pistons who confirm the pistons can be installed either way round but should all be installed the same way as defined by any markings on the crown - in my case +.020".

Nick - how far from Lyme??

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Presuming that you are talking about Vitesse 2L, the pistons are indeed symmetrical.  AFAIK this also applies to the OE pistons as well even though they do have direction markings.

Nick

(South Somerset, not very far from Lyme)

Hello Nick

Why I wonder would the factory have done that?

Roger

ps been messing with the EFI settings today!!!!!(I am a B****er for tinkering!)

I have altered the throttle balance as front 2 plugs look richer(may be oil pollution?)I can not alter the fuelling so thought add a bit more air?

Plus altered the idle settings as Spitty kept ticking over at 1000rpm not the 850 rpm I set it at!

Plus I have reduced the advance at 1500/2000rpm as I thought I could hear a rattle(pinking)did that yesterday and seems better? the test will come on Sunday when on a TSSC run we have planned(but only 2 degs so nothing drastic)and in the load area.

Roger

ps We are missing this! plus these 2 classics

DSC00060.JPG

DSC00061.JPG

DSC00064.JPG

DSC00039-001.JPG

DSC00041.JPG

wonder if they marked the piston front so that if they were ever taken out later for new rings and/or bore deglazing its easy to know which way to put them back in. I think once a piston has worn to a position its important it returns there.....