Mk. 1 GT6

Dave Vickers

In a word... no. I mean that as kindly as possible, as the also proud owner of a 1968 model, but there are statistics and then there are statistics, and if you believe eBay sellers ("only 11 of these left in the world!") or the info on owners' cars at shows ("the only one of these in the country" - I used to park mine beside that one out of sheer mischief) the figure varies considerably, but there are a surprising number known to the club, compared to the late 1990s when I bought mine and no-one seemed to want them.

Official sites such as the DVA never seem to have the correct quantity, and there's an online database which covers the world, not just the UK: http://www.teglerizer.com/InternationalGT6database/

Click on the 'view' button, top left.

I don't honestly believe at this moment there's any kind of accurate record - just a lot of guessing and made-up figures - but would love to be proved wrong.

The site 'howmanyleft?' claims there are 25 in total, both SORN and licensed.

Dave,

In the UK www.howmanyleft.co.uk take their data from the DVLA. The DVLA didn't differentiate between MK1, 2 or 3. However you can look at the date of registration 15,818 were built between 1966 and September 1968. HML show 29 licenced and 21 SORN first registered over those two years. There may be some MK2s sneaked in there between September and December, but could be as many as 50 left.

Having said that the DVLA were not the best record keepers back then, my own MK3 was registered as a convertible, not a coupe as it should have been.

Colin! Get yourself to Spec Savers! :lol:

Doug

13 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

There may be some MK2s sneaked in there

My Nov '67 Mk1 was not registered until Jan 69 so as both Colin and Doug say you can only come up with an approximate figure, and whatever that it makes us a pretty exclusive 'club' compared with MG.../E-Type.../....!

They were produced between July 1966 to September 1968

Looking again, (and possibly getting it right this time!)  HML shows 14 licensed and 11 SORN first registered between 1966 and 1967. Then 15 licensed and 10 SORN  registered between 1967 and 1968. THEN 20 licensed and 11 SORN between 1968 and 1969, but some of these will be  MK2s. And Dick's MK1 is in the 1969 to 1970 figures. So best guess is now 81 :lol:

Strangely there's one in 1965 (How did that happen?!! :wacko:

db

4 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Aidan,

As the road tax is zero I would have thought there would be no point in SORNing anymore? 

Doug

Hi Doug 

It's no longer insured for the road - No insurance and you can't tax it

Aidan 

Aidan,

Mine is off the road from October to March, but I don't fancy being without insurance. 

During the "Great Storm" a tree went through a neighbour's garage and wiped out his car, fortunately it was insured. The GT6 was in my garage, uninsured. If the tree had picked my garage, no more GT6!

Doug

Thanks to all who replied to my initial post. Seems difficult to pin down exact numbers but I think Mk. 1s are rapidly becoming something of a rarity. Hope all concerned continue with the TLC.

On another matter - can anyone help with hiring me a hub puller? Just about to tackle the worn UJ's on the drive shafts and have only found one on line at £103.00!!

1 hour ago, Dave Vickers said:

Thanks to all who replied to my initial post. Seems difficult to pin down exact numbers but I think Mk. 1s are rapidly becoming something of a rarity. Hope all concerned continue with the TLC.

On another matter - can anyone help with hiring me a hub puller? Just about to tackle the worn UJ's on the drive shafts and have only found one on line at £103.00!!

You don't need a hub puller to do the ujs.... And having spoken to a propshaft manufacturer (who make most of the decent ones, including those supplied for our cars, BTCC etc) , they reckon the best ujs are genuine freelander ones, or use hardy spicer. Sadly it seems GKN quality has suffered since being made in china. And I have just fitted GKN ones from the club shop (great)

Don't forget to get a selection of oversize circlips so you can set them tight. 

And if you need your hubs pulled, there is a chappie in the East Sussex area who can help at very reasonable costs...

Thanks for all the comments. I thought I should replace all the drive shaft bearings while I've got the drive shaft off, probably save me time later.

Decided to bite the bullet and buy the hub puller - available for hire if anyone needs it in the future.

PS - got the UJ's from Rimmer - should be okay as I'm limited to 3000 miles per year.

Dave, I was always interested in how many Mk 1 on the road. Just to be difficult my 1968 Mk1 has a 1972 registration. DVLA were useless in sorting that out. Reference the restricted mileage, I had that but found as I was using the car more and more, heading to 5k and above each year, I changed the insurance to unrestricted, and was told there was no increase in premium. I was happy.

NeilF