GT6 Fuel filter restricting flow

Dave the tram

Having noticed that the reinforced rubber fuel pipe to the pump was just stating to show cracks, I fiited a new section. However, I broke one of the jubilee type clips, but needed to make a long journey the next day. So I left the filter out temporarily and connected the pipe directly. Urika! For several years my GT6, despite starting and running well, sometimes stutters when pulling hard at higher revs. On a 500 mile round trip it petformed faultlessly when pushed hard.

I'd checked or changed out almost everything including fuel lines and checked the flow, but never dreamt that the filter could be restricting it. Interestingly, when I bought the car 13 years ago it had no filter, but I can't remeber exactly when I fitted one and probably did it at the same time as all sorts of other work, so cause and effect would not have been obvious.

Just thought this might be helpful to others and now need to research better fuel filters.

On another note, the only time my car has let me down on the road was due to fuel vapourisation a couple of years ago when crawling for hours in a jam in hot weather. I don't have an electric fan. So I lagged the steel fuel pipe that runs around the engine with insulation. It passed the test on this journey, 90 minutes of crawling in 31 degree heat immediately after driving hard for an hour. It eventually ran a bit ragged at tick-over, but coped well.

Joy!

Dave

I'm sure that I read recently in the Courier about a Stag that broke down due to fuel starvation which was due to a fuel filter problem. I wonder how many of us also have similar problems but haven't realised it yet. Is bigger (fuel filter - Pete/Doug) better as there are at least two sizes of after market add on disposible paper type filters along with glass versions

Have to say its very common for the nasty plastic filters to collapse  due to pressure from the hose clip

Just as  Colins photo  shows 

Best avoided , club and others  sell a glass cleanable metal based filter , 

You also need to match the filter pipe diameter with the fuel line ,  as we have   1/4"  and 5/16" supply lines depending on model. Or 

what ever has been fitted

Pete

On 28/07/2019 at 20:50, Pete Lewis said:

You also need to match the filter pipe diameter with the fuel line ,  as we have   1/4"  and 5/16" supply lines depending on model. Or 

what ever has been fitted

I've been wondering at bit about that. My hose internal Diameter along the whole run is 1/4", which fit over the metal pipe sections, which are, ext diameter 1/4" / int 5mm.

My plastic filter, apparently for 1/4" hose, has only int diameter of only 4mm.

Likewise, an inline fuel tap, I've recently fitted in the boot (as an anti theft device), for 1/4" hose, is only 4mm, int diameter.

Dave 

Edited by daverclasper

I dont think youll have a problem Dave as if I remember my Physics right restrictions over a short distance dont have nearly as much effect as the same restriction over a longer length. So yes pipes and hoses need to correct but a filter housing or valve can get away with it (within reason).....

Agree with johny, orifice flow is turbulent and depends on a square function, while tubular flow is laminar and is determined by a fourth power function.     So make the orifice half as big and flow goes down four times, but a tube half as big restricts it sixteen times!

So, I think that it was your filter restriction flow, not the nipped connector.      Some plastic filters are a right con!     I bought one the size of a coffee mug that I eventually dissected - the actual filter inside was only finger size!   The rest was empty, and the opaque plastic case hid this.      The glass filters are as small as that, and anyway, they break, and leak.

Use the biggest filter you can and go for transparent cases.

John