Window Rubber Seal Fit on my Tod?

Colin

Folks:- I have been titivating my 1970 Herald 1200 Saloon over the last few months to make her look more respectable and eventually coax her out on the road again. I think I can black window seal repair my front screen rubber - but the rear is pretty well u/s.

If I buy a replacement seal (apparently the quality of these new items is questionable??) and I have looked at copious YouTube examples of a single person doing same, but as I've not done this before, what chance does anyone think I have of re-installing the glass with new seal on my own ??!!??

All thoughts welcome . . .

you really need someone on the outside to apply pressure while you string it in place, you can lean the spare wheel against the screen to hold it

best stuff for sealer is simple gutter black sealer , goes on easy cleans with white spirit ,  ( warm cartridge to ease flow )

two ways apply sealer  glass to rubber and around the seal rubber to aperture then pull it in or assemble dry and insert sealer nozzle in the seal after stringing

old trick is fill old leather glove with shot or sand to use as a whacker to bed  the glass and seal into the aperture

being toughen glass you can be quite rough it wont break ,

much more care if laminated ( all glass is marked so you can tell what youve got

dont use any silly prices silicon type stuff ,  you are sealing the glass /rubber  not adhering it in place .

( i was instigator of dry seal rubbers back in the 80s )

pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

you really need someone on the outside to apply pressure while you string it in place

Yep, that's the best way -  a person can shift about as required whereas a dead weight can't. They don't need any kind of mechanical expertise, they just have to press as required...

Gents:- all the above opinions are what I needed to know - thanks very much. Always like to try jobs myself if I think they're achievable. Have done most mechanicals and a lot of filler & paint repair jobs myself (shooosh!!) in the past, but as you rightly say, without a second pair of hands, probably best to call in 'the firm' . . . :-) Once again, thanks.

Does anyone know typical cost to get professionals in to fit a screen, and any to recommend? I've just got a new laminated screen and rubber seal from Rimmers waiting to go in and keep dithering about doing it myself with a helper and soapy string. Also, if it goes in ok using string, does it actually need any sealant unless I discover leaks?

Cheers

Dave

Yes it will need sealing,  it may be ok but the old design is expecting sealant

Especially in the corners as the new seals probably are not formed at the corners and the flips will collapse .

Take care with laminated    easy to crack if you get excited with it.

Use woven cord to string it in , overlap along the bottom so you can work left and to the right   

Some soft soap on the apperture to aid the flip rolling over the flange 

See my tip about sand filled glove to use as a soft pat it in device 

Pete

Pete, using sealant as you fit it sounds like it could get messy, especially if I'm learning as a go along. Does it work ok to inject sealant once the screen is in? If so, do I just seal from the outside between screen and rubber, then between body and rubber? I've fitted the rubber onto the new screen already, and yes, one corner has a slight gap where the rubber creases out slightly. No rush to fit it and will wait until I've decided on best method.

Cheers

Dave

Let it settle for a bit, if possible park facing the sun to soften the rubber and let things attain a proper profile against the screen frame; after a time there will be fewer gaps and sealant will be more effective. If you apply sealant now, when the rubber is still conforming to the shape of the frame, it will harden and hold the rubber away slightly, perhaps leading to leaks later on.

you can pipe the sealer in after fitting if you want , i would suggest adding a short bit of smooth flatted  metal tube and fix it to the cartridge

to make it easier to slide around under the rubber.

the black gutter type sealer is best  , yes it can be messy but white spirit and scraper soon clean it back to a neat finish

if the corners are folded in or are shy to the aperture corners you can slice a short lenght of screnwash tube and insert in the edge of the glass to push the rubber outwards 

if you seal the rubber before fitting sticky tape the end of the strings to the middle of the glass to keep it out the way

Pete

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Let it settle for a bit, if possible park facing the sun to soften the rubber and let things attain a proper profile against the screen frame

Don't leave too long in the sun, if a repro seal. It be knacked. Only half joking.

Dave

Edited by daverclasper