Vitesse 2L static ignition setting

PatK

Hi All, I have just fitted the Magnetronic ignition system to my Lucas 22D Distributor. Bought it from the club, £10 cheaper than Holden. It was very easy to fit and now the car starts immediately and runs very well. I have set the static timing to 13 degrees before TDC as per the Vitesse 2L, 9.5 compression engine workshop manual figures.  However with the poor quality of modern petrol, i wonder if Club members have had problems with this much advance such as pinking under acceleration, and if I should retard the advance a little.

Any advice would be most helpful.  Thanks.    Pat

well covered topic this one and the conclusion is that its best to drive it. If its still pinking after reaching 2000rpm in 4th on the flat with full acceleration then you can back off the timing until it doesnt or try increasing the fuel octane with additives or buying the higher octane stuff. However do make sure that everything else on the engine is set up correctly beforehand - carb mixture and balance, valve tappet clearances etc.... 

I use Tesco Momentum99 where I can in my mk2 Vitesse and the pricing is very similar to other commercial brands of 95 Ron 

I did have running issues which are well documented here and it all got sorted by retarding the ignition 

Paulm

Pat,  what fuel are you using    std 95ron or the proper 97 +ron 

the higher you can get the nearer the old 100/101 these were intended to run on 

eg you cant get factory spec fuel so using factory timing is questionable

The try it and adjust to  suit is  much prefered.

Pete

Many Thanks,   johny, Paul and Pete.  Sound advice from you all. I have recently bought Miller's octane booster and ethanol proofer to add to the fuel, so I will start with that and 13degrees BTDC and as Johny advises will do the 2000 rpm in 4th and see how we go. Local petrol stations only sell 95 RON unfortunately.

Thanks.    Pat

pity you only have locally  some   nasty 95ron  used in mowers and side valves in the day 

if you can find 97 it has no ethanol added ( well at present)

club shop sell gates barricade , do check what dia you need   as there is 6mm  1/4"   and 8mm  5/16"  

most 6 cyl are 5/16" tank to pump and carb   then splits to 1/4" at the Tee pipe.

Pete 

I've always fancied a magnetronic for my Vitesse as I reckon it should be more accurate because of the trigger disc size. When I check the strobe timing of the Accuspark unit fitted to see how cylinders 1 and 6 compare (180* rotation of trigger) I find a couple of degrees difference☹️

5 hours ago, Paul H said:

Have you upgraded the fuel lines to R9 grade . If not the best solution is Gates Barricade grade which is ethanol proof . Some R9 grade from EBay is fake so best avoided , got the T Shirt 

Paul 

Yes Paul, I have done that some time ago from a guy recommended in Practical Classics magazine. I wonder if intake valve oil seals on some engines would suffer degradation as well?

4 hours ago, johny said:

I've always fancied a magnetronic for my Vitesse as I reckon it should be more accurate because of the trigger disc size. When I check the strobe timing of the Accuspark unit fitted to see how cylinders 1 and 6 compare (180* rotation of trigger) I find a couple of degrees difference☹️

Hi johny, I fitted the Magnetronic system firstly because it's made by Lumenition, which is a company that I trust, having had their ignition system in two previous cars ( Lotus Elans ) and they worked faultlessly. If you go on U tube and type in Magnetronic Ignition you will see Holden Vintage and classics  fitting it to a distributor. It could not be easier. But what is different to accuspark, is that it has a rotating " top hat " that fits onto the centre spindle and the cap has small powerful magnets that rotate Over the Pick up, which is made of metal. Using a strobe the timing is rock steady with no fluctuation, which appears to be a problem with Accuspark.

1 hour ago, dave.vitesse said:

Pat, Yes if you can't get any 97 octane then use the Miller's octane booster and ethanol proofer. Also if you still have pinking then retard the ignition by 3 degrees. i.e. 10 degrees before TDC.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I will do that, as I reckon 10 degrees sounds much better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gully said:

My early GT6 Mk3 runs a Lucas 22d6 distributor and the engine (pretty much same spec I guess) is happy at 10 degrees advance, running super unleaded with Millers VSPE additive.

Gully

Thanks Gully, I will set it at 10 degrees as that seems to be a safer figure. I'm not interested in maximum power, just a long engine life!

1 hour ago, daverclasper said:

If you have the vernier adjust on dizzy, then for fine adjustment, I have found that as little as 10 clicks (which I understand is only a fraction of a degree), will alter timing from pinking to not (and vice versa).

That's on my Vitesse.

Dave  

Thanks Dave, yes I do have the vernier adjustment on my distributor and will use that to fine tune it.

7 minutes ago, PatK said:

Hi johny, I fitted the Magnetronic system firstly because it's made by Lumenition, which is a company that I trust, having had their ignition system in two previous cars ( Lotus Elans ) and they worked faultlessly. If you go on U tube and type in Magnetronic Ignition you will see Holden Vintage and classics  fitting it to a distributor. It could not be easier. But what is different to accuspark, is that it has a rotating " top hat " that fits onto the centre spindle and the cap has small powerful magnets that rotate Over the Pick up, which is made of metal. Using a strobe the timing is rock steady with no fluctuation, which appears to be a problem with Accuspark.

It's not so much fluctuation (which could be down to other things) but more that the strobe shows the same timing when connected to plug 6 as number 1. It would be interesting to see how your magnetronic performs if you get a chance.....

4 hours ago, johny said:

And obviously a magnetic field isn't as defined as a machined cam for operating the 'switch'....

Hi johny, I was interested in how these Hall effect systems work and there are several good videos on U tube. As far as I can see, the magnet passing over the Hall effect  system triggers a square sine wave from the diode which switches off the LT current accurately and very quickly. better that the slow opening of the points and probably gives a bigger secondary voltage in the coil. I do know that the car now starts instantly with the Magnetronic system fitted and idles much more smoothly. 

8 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Pat itsnt yours on SU HS6   so there may be fueling issues adding to pinking

Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

If 1 and 6 were not the same I would be   a little  concerned  

Pete

Yes Pete, what a great memory!  I will keep that in mind Pete. I also think that there is a modified camshaft  in there as well!