Speakers in doors of Herald

Reg

Where is the best place to drill through door edge to connect to speakers fitted over the large circular hole in the door panel ? Perhaps the later Vitesse range had them fitted in the doors?

Thanks Reg

as far as I know Vitesses never came with door speakers as standard. The best you could hope for in those days was a Triumph optional extra single speaker that was mounted in a folded cardboard sheet that fitted on top of the gearbox cover under a radio that hung under the dash.... 

A PO probably fitted speakers at some stage, which must be quite a common mod, but as theres no other wiring coming from the doors to the body Im not sure how you can do it neatly. Of course once youve got the wires into the A pilar it'll be easy to get them through to the dash....

There's quite a gap between door and post so wires can be suitably wound to allow them to stretch when the doors are opened, but I've seen people caught out by running the wire through the aperture for the door stay, and then having them chopped in half.

I have a set of door trims with the speaker in this area of the door and will fit them to my 1200 once it's at that stage. I bought them at the TSSC International years ago and stored them away.

I want to fit some sort of sound system to my Vitesse, and was thinking there must be a modern alternative to the traditional door speakers. I've been impressed at the sound quality you can get from the single small Bluetooth speakers, and was wondering if there was a 12v version that could be hidden under the dash, and buy a modern Bluetooth head unit to play through it?

Mark

9 minutes ago, Mark B said:

I want to fit some sort of sound system to my Vitesse, and was thinking there must be a modern alternative to the traditional door speakers. I've been impressed at the sound quality you can get from the single small Bluetooth speakers, and was wondering if there was a 12v version that could be hidden under the dash, and buy a modern Bluetooth head unit to play through it?

Mark

I know exactly what you mean. BUT many seem to appear loud, until you get them in a car. I reckon some of the JBL can style ones may be good. Certainly loud compared to most I have heard (not many, I have a psyc speaker, spell reviewed but not very loud. Good sound though)

Re power, they charge via USB. So velco it in place when the in the car. Run t from your phone. All usb chargers so very simple.

Alternatively use a pair of speakers in the kick panel area. Somebody is making a composite panel exactly for that, but 25 years ago I used some hardboard painted black. I also had a power amp (not expensive) and ran it off a Sony discman. Later an MP3 player (Still in use, same playlist) 

The PO of my car put speakers in the door panels, couldn't even get them on  straight! :angry: I'm stuck with them. The wires don't come out the front of the panels but the edge of the doors and then through the post as Colin describes. Never had a problem but easy enough to rewire if they fracture.

Doug

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Many would run a flexible externally from the door card to the kick  board   not so neat but easy 

Spiral the wire (around a rod)   to allow some 'spring' even use some old telephone type coiled cable .

Pete

Thanks Pete and for everyone else's comments. I now favour the idea of putting the speakers in the kick boards. The wiring will be easier and perhaps better than potentially messing up the door cards!