How much of an oil leak is acceptable

iana

Ive been cleaning a dirty engine ready to give it a coat of engine paint and noticed 2-3 areas of oil so Im guessing a leaking gasket - main suspects are timing chain gasket or sump gasket and rocker gasket - Ive got the rocker gasket ready to fix that leak - the others are alot more time consuming, I guess they will get worse with time but as I dont have an engine hoist it will be a swap insitu (which Ive noted from other posts on here can be done with the engine insitu) As I only get a very occasional drip on the cardboard under the car, I guessing the leak isnt major (it was picked up by the garage when they did some work on the car) so do I ignore the problem, buy a plastic drip tray and wait till it gets more significant? I'll buy the gaskets ready.

Do oil leaks cause issues on the MOT?

Excessive ones cause both worry and MOT failure, but a slight weep or occasional drop is normal unless your engine is rebuilt or has been maintained as super oil-tight. My GT6 leaves two or three drops between uses and is just kept regularly topped up, although it rarely needs it, but my TR7 left a sizeable pool about four inches across and so was stripped to be rebuilt.

Old trick puff some talc around the oil leaves a trace through it   makes it smell better too.

Rocker covers are the main culprit for leaks that spread  everywhere

Do the easy first

Re timing cover it can also be the front plate , thats not as easy 

So a clean down , good  puff of baby powder will show up where to start

Pete

• Like 1

I have noticed a slight water leak from mine. Like Iana's oil leak, not a lot, but its there. Probably about a cup full, or less. Can't immediately see where its coming from. Could be a core plug or the metal water return pipe which I have been suspicious about but it won't budge and I am worried that it might shear. Any ideas for this one? Will probably deal with over the winter as long as there is no disaster before then

I had a minor water leak in my Vitesse mk2 . Tracked it down to a core plug at back of the engine and only visible with the gear box cover off . As soon as I prodded with a screwdriver the hole opened up and if this had happened while driving would have had serious consequences 

Paul 

Thanks, I’ll keep my eye on the leak but use it in the meantime, it hasn’t used any noticeable oil in the 6 months I’ve had the car.

I’ll sort the rocker cover this week.

Pete I’ll try the talc trick, and maybe I will sort the leak over winter if it’s an easy fix.

Old bypass tubes can shear off in attempts to undo the union nut on the back of the pump

Best get a replacement stainless one and a new olive , if the thing wont strip,down you can unscrew the fitting from the pump  

And put it and remains of tube in a vice to split them up for a clean up

Its silly  12mm sized olive not available at any plumbers 

Pete

Spent a few hours at the weekend cleaning around the engine, I’ve cleaned the sump up, and then tightened all the bolts that I could reach. The area is now relatively clean so any fresh oil will be apparent.

I also fixed the failed gasket on the gearbox (the selector gasket) but I’ve noticed I still have a drip from the box somewhere - any ideas - I’ll pop the car on some axle stands tomorrow and have a look - any pointers where to start looking - I have recently topped up the oil so it could be spilt oil that I haven’t cleared up properly 

24D7FE38-1583-4646-8CA9-61D6E50EB1FB.png

I’ve gathered that much so I don’t want to do anything too major as it’s time to drive the car rather than work on it. At least with the new transmission tunnel cover checking and filling is easy! 

I’m wondering if it’s time to paint the garage floor and then I can wipe up any mess with a squirt of degreaser.

I sourced 5l of ep90 oil so I’ve plenty to refill with! I thought I’d solved the worst of the leak so just a bit disappointed and I’m guessing it’s more noticeable now the box is full (it was very low initially so it couldn’t leak much!)

I was going to use a grow bag tray or 2 under the car - anyone else tried that as an oil drip tray?

I have three grow bag trays lined with old newspaper. Does the whole length of the car from radiator to diff. Just remember that if you have been working near them under the car, to make sure that they are in the right place before driving off. They don't work to well after being run over.... a couple of times.

Drips like that can fail on MOT but as you dont need one now it doesnt matter.

Its tunnel off and look see the boxes are pretty good , its likely the top  cover or remote gasket 

Always do a finger test on a drip !!  Engine oil  its black        EP   cats pee pong

Pete

I’ve taken the car out today for a quick test drive, the leak looks like it’s the speedo drive and the remote gasket or reversing light switch. I’m a bit stuck now as I don’t have a spare remote gasket so I need to wait till it’s delivered. 

Can oil leak from the speedo drive? 

Im now questioning if the the gasket goo was the wrong type for use with ep90 oils - it’s Granville clear instant gasket which says transmission fluids - it’s all I could get at the time. I’ve now got some blue hylomar!

Oil certainly can come from the speedo drive and is quite likely as its a rotating part that relies on o rings to seal which could have hardened or broken by now.

Cant see that the gasket sealer could do any harm. If the new gasket is now leaking it can only be down to loose bolts or the surfaces werent clean/flat....

• Thanks 1

I’m just wondering if the sealant isn’t compatible with ep90. I will use blue hylomar next time - I cleaned all the surfaces off and wiped with degreaser - is there something else to use?

on the speedo drive the leak looks like it’s on the connection of the speedo cable or is that just a trick of light?