External oil feed...

Mjit

So external feed removed and blanking plug fitted.  Not tried a start-up yet, due to assorted other jobs going on at the same time - but should try it some time this week and will update...

Currently been distracted by finding that the random brown wire that starts on the battery positive terminal goes...direct to the gear stick O/D switch, then on, direct to the solonoid.  Having player the game of replacing a failed inhibitor swich with the garbox in situe before I can't ay it's a job I'm looking forward to tackling, but one that needs doing before anything else (like me forgetting).

ouch  sounds like a fuse and a relay ?? are in the post soon,  assuming its a J type ( sol passenger side) does not need a relay as only aprox  0.5amp load 

where as a  Dtype not used on 2000    it takes approx 10amps for a few seconds on initial pull in .and does need one .

A type would need a relay

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so finally ran out of ways to procrastinate and tried running the car with the rocker cover off today.

First off the engine bay looks a lot better with the feed removed - previously there was a T piece for an oil pressure gauge...plumbed in to the T piece for the external oil feed, plumbed in to the block.

Second oil pressure looks good (needle about 3/4 of the way around with cold oil).

Third, I really have no idea what I'm looking for with the rocker cover off.  I couldn't see any oil dripping off the rocker shaft or anything - but then is that what you'd expect to see?

with it idling you should   get a dribble from the rockers, and the oil will  drain to the rear of the head and with angle of engine and no cover have a small flood start to run over the rear flange of the head after a few minutes of running , 

the oil should come from the rocker  /shaft bore and some small splash from the oiler hole in the rocker arm

Pete

Well wiped down, run for a few minutes and...still as dry as it started.
Guessing next step is to remove the rocker shaft and turn it over on the starter to see if I get anything coming up the feed (under the rear rocker pedistal from memory?)?

That and try to find a crush washer to refit the external feed if that fails.

It's possible the vertical passage in the block was drilled/tapped and blocked with a grub screw. That or fitting a restriction in the banjo were the two 'proper' ways of fitting an external feed (though doing neither and just bolting it on was what hppened 99% of the time).

Think I'll go for removing the rocker shaft - and trying to work out where the hell you buy pipe cleaners theae days to give things a quick clean-up.

7 hours ago, Mjit said:

First off the engine bay looks a lot better with the feed removed - previously there was a T piece for an oil pressure gauge...plumbed in to the T piece for the external oil feed, plumbed in to the block.

If you Tee off from the bypass tube thing & it's flowing oil the gauge will read lower than normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mjit said:

It's possible the vertical passage in the block was drilled/tapped and blocked with a grub screw. That or fitting a restriction in the banjo were the two 'proper' ways of fitting an external feed (though doing neither and just bolting it on was what hppened 99% of the time).

Think I'll go for removing the rocker shaft - and trying to work out where the hell you buy pipe cleaners theae days to give things a quick clean-up.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-pipe-cleaners-50-pack/p/0253155

A cable tie may do the trick

My rockers weren't getting much oil, mainly 123456, even though my oil pressure was reading healthy. I stripped it down, expecting gunge/blockage in shaft/rocker holes. It was pretty clean, though the shaft  had worn heavily at front of engine, going less so to rear. This meant the small scroll oil channels that are inline with the exit oil holes in shaft, in the rocker areas were non existent.

New shaft and oil was coming out of the rockers.

I should check it, as now 2 years down the line, as the new shafts have a poor reputation. I think some folk view it as a replacement service item.

On second thoughts, the rockers weren't noisy and no quieter with new shaft. Maybe I could have reground the scrolls on old shaft with a dremel small disk and got the same result?.  

Dave 

So rocker shaft removed, stipped down (other than one pedistal that refused to come off either end of the shaft), cleaned, degreased, washed and left to try overnight.  No blockages or signs of much gumming in the oilways, but oil rather 'gloopy' so not sure last time it was changed (a task that was on the list anyway).

With the rocker assembly off I wiped up the oil and 'poked around' in the rear pedistal oil feed, then cranked the engine till the oil pressure was up and stable and...the feed hole still as dry as a bone. Unless there's a flaw with that test looks like I need to refit that external feed pipe.

This is common on 4 cyl engines with the big cam journals that run directly in the block due to wear letting oil out round rocker feed journal usual clue is no matter what you do with rocker adjusters the tappets remain noisy at certain revs, have also seen it on 6 cyl engines , if journal in block is worn due to cost of fixing block is scrap