Recovery

mjj

A lot of insurance companies that provide specific classic car cover normally "throw-in" free recovery. As such it all depends which recovery agent aligns with that insurance company and vice-versa.

Of course nothing to stop you going for your own choice, but I am unsure if you will get a reduction in premium by not using an insurance company's recovery partner.

48 minutes ago, classiclife said:

A lot of insurance companies that provide specific classic car cover normally "throw-in" free recovery. As such it all depends which recovery agent aligns with that insurance company and vice-versa.

Does it count as a claim? I'm always wary of having anything to do with Insurance companies as they'll get any expense back with interest.

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

I think of you in a whole new light Richard. :lol:

Fame at last Doug !!

Colin - my understanding is that it does not count; long time since I was recovered and as Doug has pointed out made zero difference to the premium the following year.

Regards,

Richard.

Thanks Richard and Doug; I was with the AA for years but their renewal became astronomical so I was eventually allowed to leave. I can't say I simply left them as they hounded me day and night until I literally had to be rude to them down the phone and request that they stop pestering me.

My modern Insurance has breakdown recovery including fuel shortage, puncture and home start but doesn't say who it's with. Sadly - or fortunately - my good mate Brendan is just too handy and has a range of flatbeds to bring me home when little mishaps happen.... so to date I rarely have ever had to call anyone else, but it may be a bit much someday to call him out to the M6 or wherever.... so I just might need to use my own policy and don't want to regret it later when I get the renewal.

DSCF5738.jpg.ef66d29a4b0a66fb654e560090a4d330.jpg

I only had recovery once when the professional diff rebuild used std bolts in the front carrier and one came loose and locked the propshaft up

i dont recall any change in policy but twas back in 2006 ish

thats when i learnt about the wedgelock tapered shank must have  bolts  

4481-Large.jpg

On 24/08/2019 at 13:56, Colin Lindsay said:

Thanks Richard and Doug; I was with the AA for years but their renewal became astronomical so I was eventually allowed to leave. I can't say I simply left them as they hounded me day and night until I literally had to be rude to them down the phone and request that they stop pestering me.

My modern Insurance has breakdown recovery including fuel shortage, puncture and home start but doesn't say who it's with. Sadly - or fortunately - my good mate Brendan is just too handy and has a range of flatbeds to bring me home when little mishaps happen.... so to date I rarely have ever had to call anyone else, but it may be a bit much someday to call him out to the M6 or wherever.... so I just might need to use my own policy and don't want to regret it later when I get the renewal.

DSCF5738.jpg.ef66d29a4b0a66fb654e560090a4d330.jpg

Cheers Colin, I'm all sorted, thanks for your contribution though

Just renewed my Insurance, so am broke next month as well... however they informed me that I can call out their recovery up to three times a year - but not for the same problem - and they'll either get the car going again, or else tow me home, or to their garage. The guy I spoke to in the local office didn't know who they used, but confirmed that it does not count as a claim.

• Like 1

I did feel for a guy with a GT40 at the weekend (Sunday), something snapped on his rear suspension and one of the rear wheels was at 90 degrees. It happened about 9-30am and at 3-45pm as we were coming back from a run out in Triumphs the recovery truck had only just arrived.............Luckily a neighbour a neighbour of mine had spotted him and took him some food and cold drinks. It was also on a very dangerous bend on a fast road.

Tony. 

On 30/08/2019 at 17:52, poppyman said:

It was also on a very dangerous bend on a fast road.

Tony. 

That mishap of mine - after which the GT6 is STILL off-road, 12 months later - happened at traffic lights while static. I had just come back from a 200 mile run round some of the twistiest bends in the country, and had been commenting on how the GT6 handled at 60mph... and then a wheel falls off whilst stationary. It could have been a lot different... and THEN I'd be looking at how my Insurance really works.

• Haha 1

Mr Lucky! Vertical link? It happened to me, I stopped to turn right, full lock, pulled away into the side road, BANG! The GT6 was 5 years old and I'd just bought it. The  PO had no concept of maintenance, the trunions hadn't seen oil since they left the factory. :angry: Still I can say, with some authority, trunions can do 30,000 miles without oil. 

Doug

I am with Peter James got recovered last month due to fuel pump expiring. AA came first, then called for recovery truck. Excellent service and was home in a couple hours. I understand it doesn't count as a claim. 

No need to join AA, RAC ect.

Yet another benefit of running classic Triumphs!!😀