Spitfire 1500 main bearings

Chris Bracey

I would minimise running of the engine now as theres a risk of metal to metal contact on the crank which means it would need a regrind whereas at the moment you should be able to get away with just replacement std bearings. Of course really the crank needs to be accurately measured for ovality because the new bearings wont last long if the crank isnt within spec.

Also while the engine is open its worth checking the condition of the oil pump and crank thrust bearing.....

Yes although Ive only done a 6 from underneath I believe the 4 is very similar. Obviously you can check the play beforehand but even if its within spec its worth having a look at the thrusts as I found mine pitted for some unexplained reason.

Your biggest problem working from underneath, apart from access, is keeping everything clean and this is essential.....

Dick. I am near alresford but wont be doing it for a while. Thank you. Is it easy to get at engine from side to avoid removing the bonnet.  Strangle the oil  pressure was 50 at 1200 rpm. Sounds ok on tickover but there is a deep rumble at start up and if you rev it its harsh .

The bearing rumble on start up is very common - its a sign that the bearings are worn (but still probably have a lot of life left in them)

You can reduce it significantly be making sure you use an oil filter with a good "anti-drain-back" valve, and then turning the engine over on the starter to build oil pressure before actually starting it - this can be achieved either by not using the choke until the oil pressure has built up, or by having a "kill switch" in the Low tension circuit to the coil to stop the car from starting until the extra switch is switched.

As for the rumble whilst revving, it could easily be "pinking" rather than a bearing problem - easily cured by getting ignition timing adjusted correctly.

It is worth investigating all possibilities but I must admit Ive never heard pinking when just reving an engine at standstill - its normally under load like a hill or hard acceleration that it presents itself and then I think its more of a tinkling sound than a rumble.....

53 minutes ago, johny said:

It is worth investigating all possibilities but I must admit Ive never heard pinking when just reving an engine at standstill - its normally under load like a hill or hard acceleration that it presents itself and then I think its more of a tinkling sound than a rumble.....

In general I agree, but I've encountered a similar problem with a 1500 Spit engine with worn bearings, where the biggest problem was actually the centrifugal advance retard mechanism in the distributor actually being seized, so only the vacuum capsule was doing anything - it took a lot of searching to properly diagnose.

On 26/08/2019 at 18:33, Chris Bracey said:

Is it easy to get at engine from side to avoid removing the bonnet

Chris, Yes it is feasible if you have the room (most garages long and thin!) but you have the added pain of removing the bellhousing bolts.  If I was going to do this work on the engine I would remove the bonnet and pull the whole unit and do the clutch while at it.

Dick

• 4 weeks later...