You'll love this one...!

petegardner_901

My Spitfire was registered May 1979 which makes it 40 years and 4 months old.

DVLC say that MOT exemption will start from the end of this year unless I can give them notification of when the car was manufactured - NOT when it was registered.

I pointed out it couldn't have been registered before it was manufactured so the registration certificate should be enough proof.

Not so. I have to get a letter from the Triumph Motor Company stating when the car was manufactured.

Ha ha ha.

(Yes - I will get it MOT'd anyway but thought you'd be interested in this unusual anomaly...)

• Confused 1

Pete, you need to read the Gov's own site, https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles where they say, 

"You do not need to get an MOT if: 

the vehicle was built or first registered more than 40 years ago"   My underline.

They are trying to help you! The criterion is "more than 40 years".     If your car was first registered in May '79 then it is now IN its fortieth year, NOT "more than 40 years" old!     If you could show that it was built earlier than the end of August 1978, then it would be "more than 40 years" old and you would qualify for a free licence and MOT exemption now.  As they told you in less detail, "MOT exemption will start from the end of this year" .     Which is generous - they could make you wait until May 2020.

John

PS But beware.    It was Nicolai Gogol who said, "The most frightening words in the world are, 'I am a from the Government, and I am here to help you."

• Haha 1

Doesn’t matter what you think 40 years old is, you can’t declare it before the 1st April of the year following it’s build/registered date, but it does become historic from 1st Jan  

I went through this pain when mine became 40 two years ago in August 2017 - I couldn’t do it before the April because the tax law didn’t change the date until after the budget in effect.  

And they don’t backdate any tax paid to jan 1st either 😖

• Like 1

3 hours ago, petegardner_901 said:

JohnD...!!!

I have to disagree with you here...😊  if the car was registered May 1979 it is now in it's  forty-first year...

Like when you are born you are not yet 1 year old but you ARE in your 1st year...

Doh!   Correct!  Never trust anyone 'only trying to help'!

John

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

And they don’t backdate any tax paid to jan 1st either 😖

Darling Daughter changed her car last Saturday to a Ford Fiesta - so we went across to the Post Office on Monday to tax it for the first time (can't do it online until it's registered to her)

It's free - zero road tax - per year but still has to be taxed. The woman behind the counter asked me how I would like to pay, which threw me a bit. Then she asked me if I wanted six or twelve months. I told her I couldn't afford twelve months all at once so would go for six. At this point she told me it was free, so I searched through my pockets, told her I had just found no money that I didn't know I had, so could now go for 12 months. I think I left her completely bamboozled but the car is now taxed.

• Haha 3