GT6. Headlinig/rear vents. Advice needed.

chrishawley

Hi,

Can anyone advise on the subject of GT6 headlining?

I rebuilding a GT6 Mk3 but since I didn't take it apart myself I don't know how certain things go together.

My particular conundrum is this: I've trial fitted the the rear quarter millboards, exterior vents, and plastic ducts: But the inner face of the ducts sits proud of the millboards. Which looks to me like once the headlining is fitted the stainless steel finishers for the ducts would 'float' out of contact with the headlining.

So any advice on the details of how this area goes together would be much appreciated.

Should the faces of the plastic ducts be flush with the millboards? Or proud of them? Is the headlining glued to the face of the millboard? Or glued just on the top and bottom edges and tensioned to give the right appearance? Or should there be a layer of scrim over the millboard? Or any other possibility.

Any advice?

Regards

Chris

Herts

Can you post a photo, Chris, then we can advise?

The best I can do this morning is to post a photo taken from Mike Costigan's 'Guide to Originality' book; I can't find a single photo of this area anywhere on the Net but it may give you an idea of how it looks, compared to yours.

DSCF7302.jpg.7ffdda2ccfe75141faf8ff6aaaad3a4c.jpg

Having looked at my car and the parts book diagram, the grill parts appear to fix directly onto the plastic duct, sandwiching the headlining, which does sit clear of the mill boards - you can press the headlining back away from the internal metal grill. The tension on the headlining means you can't see the float.

Helpfully, the parts book doesn't show mill boards on the rear quarter, although I can feel them through my headlining!

Gully

• Thanks 1

Hi the plastic duct just pokes through. The headlining is sandwiched between the duct and the grill. the headlining is not glued to the millboards

I did take some pictures when I did my headlining. You can view these on my website under the restoration pages.

Regards

Chris

Chris,

I've recently removed the rear vents and headlining etc. and it was all very straight forward and simply fitted together. With you saying you didn't take it apart, could it be plastic ducts are from a Mk 1/2? 

Just a thought.

Paul

Edited by Paulfc

Thank you for the replies. That all makes sense now. Thanks again.

One follow on question: When affixing the headlining in the area of the millboards is it glued over the lip of the tailgate aperture such that it is tensioned straight down from the lip o ris it  reflected back and glued to the underside of the aperture.

Any further advice much appreciated.

Regards

Chris

I have just had the same debate with the guy who was doing the respray of my GT6 MKIII and fitting a new headlining.  The conclusion that we came to after looking at where the old headlining was glued was to glue it around the outer edge of the tailgate aperture and around the back of the lower rails that the rear side trim fixes to.  We also decided to glue the trim around the inside of the aperture in the trim panel to make a better fit.  This meant that you could see white headlining through the vent grill so being a bit anal I dyed this area black!

As the hardboard trims were a bit distorted I replaced mine with 1.5mm aluminium, in hindsight I think 1mm would have been better and easier to shape as it does need a bit of a bend forming in it.

Photos of the original fit of the vent and headlining are attached.  I will try and get out to the garage in the next day or so and take a couple of photos of it as it is now.

Chris

P1080230.JPG

P1080595.JPG

P1080598.JPG

A couple more pictures with the new headining fitted.  It is glued on both sides of the hatch aperture and the back of the lower rail.  He also glued the surplus headlining around the inside of the plastic vent duct where the hole had been cut out.  The headlining doesn't touch the rear quarter trim panel (millboard or aluminium in my case).

P1080748.jpg

P1080747.jpg