vitesse rear cowl and reverse/no.plate light...and "Air" plate.

ChrisTasmania

The '70  Vitesse Mk2  keeps throwing up interesting challenges..  The rubber cowl gasket (aluminium shroud-thing over the number plate light) is listed as NLA by all the major suppliers. Anyone know someone who keeps them? Also I am missing the little plate-thingy that goes behind the heater blower switch. It just says "Air". I don't have one, and again is listed as NLA everywhere, do they ever turn up?

More challenging is the attachment for the number-plate light housing itself, mine has two brackets, individually screwed to the back of the light and looking totally original. The parts book has a single bracket with a blanking plate behind for the wire  to pass through, which makes sense. With my mounting there is a 3 by 1 inch slot for the breeze to blow in! Am I missing something?, but looks totally unmolested.  This is where I should send a photo..

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Chris

3 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Try facebook shop rarebits4classics for the seal.

Does Bill still operate? I checked him out recently but had thought that after some operations he was having that he'd given up making or selling parts? I'd love to hear that he's still on the go as regards selling bits, as he had some great stuff back in the day.

Am I correct in that the Herald Estate uses the same shroud and therefore the same rubber seal? Part number 705211?

4 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Does Bill still operate? I checked him out recently but had thought that after some operations he was having that he'd given up making or selling parts? I'd love to hear that he's still on the go as regards selling bits, as he had some great stuff back in the day.

Am I correct in that the Herald Estate uses the same shroud and therefore the same rubber seal?

I did message Bill about door draft excluders through FB but got no reply 

Paul 

Chris I have one of Bills repo number plate moulded rubber gaskets and can give you a template of it, but the proper and repo has a raised edge around the outer edge to assist sealing.

ref the AIR plate my  August 68 Vitesse Mk2 which I have owned since 1970 doesn’t have one so early Mk2’s obviously didn’t have the Air plate just the switch!

Peter T

Melbourne

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Am I correct in that the Herald Estate uses the same shroud and therefore the same rubber seal? Part number 705211?

There is till a shop on Facebook but have never tried it, the Vitesse and estate are very similar, same seal I believe, but the Vitesse one has an arc cut in it to clear the reversing light. I bought an estate one by mistake but it look an easy mod to make, have a couple of seals still in a stanpart paper bag but as to the state of the rubber??.

Regards

Paul

If that date is correct then the last post to that page was September 29th, and I'm assuming since it doesn't have any year after it that it's the current year. That is definitely good news. I miss Bill and Karen at shows; they have some great stuff for Herald owners.

This is presumably the bit you need; it's priced at £35. The cowl has the arc - absent in estates - but the seal is the same.

954936101_ScreenShot2019-10-05at13_49_49.jpg.7be6363d3ea1d8a97139e9390928b8bc.jpg

That seal has appeared on eBay too:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-numberplate-lamp-gasket-seal-fits-Herald-Estate-and-all-Vitesse/303304550994?hash=item469e5c2a52:g:UvkAAOSwxPddkSnf