Vitesse Body fitting kit.

Phil C

Hi All

I am getting close to reuniting the Vitesse body to the refurbished chassis in readiness for panel repairs to begin and seek a mounting kit.

Various suppliers offer these with prices ranging from £15.00 to £115.00 :unsure:........I guess you get what you pay for?

The body was already separate from the chassis when I bought the car so I have nothing to compare.

Your experience  please?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

4 minutes ago, Martin1945 said:

Been there done that.

I still dont know of any easy paths to take.

Just take things one day at a time

Martin, thanks for the quick response. My initial question was really about which mounting kit I should buy. I am guessing some are more comprehensive than others? Certainly the cost variance would suggest so?

In general you dont need the caged nut plates they are recyclable  even rusty ones with sheared bolts can be resurrected

You can make C washers for packers with std washer and hacksaw

And with old wonky body and chassis theres a good chance you  need some amazing height of packers to align the tubs and doors

Pete 

but as said £100+  is a bit of a deep pocket syndrome

Does the Rimmers kit really need 20 shims? Incidentally the Paddocks kit is short of rubber mountings... off the top of the half-awake head (even with the clock going back!) six for the front half and ten for the rear... or 14 plus two solid mountings. Or are those just 'body' as in tub, and not bulkhead too?

When I put the body back on the 6 I ditched the rubber mounts and made stainless steel discs about 6mm thick then used penny washers for the fine tuning. No idea what it is like on the road yet but it was a lot easier to setup than on my Dads Mk1 CV a few years back. To get the body height adjusted I used air wedges like the ones they use to break into cars.

Adrian 

Last time I fitted a Herald bonnet I put an old quilt over the engine and rested the bonnet on that, sliding it about until the gaps were good, and only then bolted it on and tightened up. From your post the rear tub may be the same idea! Gap first on jacks or other support then slide pads or shims into the gaps and tighten afterwards...