Reference Photos of our Cars

PatK

Hi All, I have been looking on the Club website to try and find if there is a Library of reference photos of our cars, with particular reference to under bonnet, interior, exterior and boot layout. I have probably missed it, but in particular I'm looking for an under bonnet photo of a Mk2 2L Vitesse with detailed photos of the inlet manifold and carb throttle and choke cable layouts also the fuel lines.

My Vitesse has twin SU HS6s fitted and i want to return it to the correct Stromberg CD150 spec. Although I have a Triumph workshop manual for the car and it does shoe some photos of this the all important one showing the cable layout is missing.

Many Thanks         Pat

PatK,

A reference work for Heralds and Vitesses, as good as John Thomason's for Spitfires and GT6s ("A Guode to Originality") is lacking.     I've tried to persuade several gurus to take on the task!    A partial substitute is the Haynes "Guide to Purchase and D-i-Y Restoration".    While originality is not its puspose, it is full of pics of the parts on all these cars, and on the changing spec as production progressed.

John

Someone on another site was quite recently bemoaning the photos of our cars online, on sites such as Wikipedia. It seems authors of some entries have used their own cars, or photos of cars they know, which are often far from standard, as examples - the Courier Van is pictured with a Vitesse bonnet, and the Vitesse convertible has incorrect wheels. You'd think that an online encyclopaedia would, as a reference for many unaware of the subtle differences, need to have the proper items shown.

The great power, and weakness of the Wiki is that it is written by its users.     There is no back office of researchers, diligently seeking out the Truth in all its nakedness, but doing what they can with what they know, believe they know or have pictures to show what they know.      The Courier in the Wiki entry is labelled "Triumph Courier van with front end from a Triumph Vitesse" the higlighted last words linking to the Vitesse entry.   There are plenty of pics of proper Couriers, bu that one has been there since 2009 (Right click on the pic, then on "See More"), so clearly no one is disturbed enough to do anything about it!

If that offends you, or anyone else, you or they can insert a picture of a proper Courier van.    I won't even try to explain how to do that, it's here, on the Wiki!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:FAQ/Editing

John

PS The TSSC website, this one, has a page headed "The Cars".  It doesn't even mention the Courier!     Although it does include the original Triumph Roadster and all the other TRs up to TR8, the Renown, the Acclaim, the Stag, the Dolomite and the Toledo, none of them in the original  "Sports Six" small-chassied Triumphs that included the Amphicar, which only had a Triumph engine!    Horse whips at the ready!  J.

it does have all the herald spitfire gt6 and vitesse pictures and the sports six title comes from the inaugural  first meeting to form a club around the Vitesse6   marketed as  the Sports  Six 

it was Bill Sunderlands Wifes  white   Vitesse 6 that started all this club off.all those years ago

Pete

23 hours ago, JohnD said:

PatK,

A reference work for Heralds and Vitesses, as good as John Thomason's for Spitfires and GT6s ("A Guode to Originality") is lacking.     I've tried to persuade several gurus to take on the task!    A partial substitute is the Haynes "Guide to Purchase and D-i-Y Restoration".    While originality is not its puspose, it is full of pics of the parts on all these cars, and on the changing spec as production progressed.

John

The Mike Costigan Book on Herald/Vitesse originality is a very good guide on how the cars came out the factory and the various changes over the years, I sold my copy years ago though😞.

6 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

The Mike Costigan Book on Herald/Vitesse originality is a very good guide on how the cars came out the factory and the various changes over the years, I sold my copy years ago though😞.

Not a fortune to replace £13.40 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete-Guide-to-Triumph-Herald-and-Vitesse-The-by-Costigan-Mike-Paperback/303357791999?

Paul 

16 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

it does have all the herald spitfire gt6 and vitesse pictures and the sports six title comes from the inaugural  first meeting to form a club around the Vitesse6   marketed as  the Sports  Six 

it was Bill Sunderlands Wifes  white   Vitesse 6 that started all this club off.all those years ago

Pete

Thank you, Pete, your knowledge is godlike!

I thought it was six "Triumph" models, Herald, Vitesse, GT6, Spitfire, Courier and, er, Amphicar!

John

John  nowt to do with god,  it took me a while when on COM to find just where the name originated from   so its nothing to do with six chassis',    six pistons  ,

just  the marketing of the Vitesse 6     dont think  the  boot badge   had Sports 6   in the UK 

well something like that 

Pete

1 hour ago, Gary Flinn said:

The Six cars are: Herald, Vitesse, Spitfire, GT6, Amphicar and Any kit car based on the Herald/Vitesse Chassis

(If my memory serves me correctly?!!) 

Not sure about Amphicar, wasn't it Bond? I think the last bit is shortened to 'Specials'. That brings back a lot of memories!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

John  nowt to do with god,  it took me a while when on COM to find just where the name originated from   so its nothing to do with six chassis',    six pistons  ,

just  the marketing of the Vitesse 6     dont think  the  boot badge   had Sports 6   in the UK 

well something like that 

Pete

Yes, Pete, a friend in the US has a "Sport 6" which is what they called the Vitesse

J.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Not sure about Amphicar, wasn't it Bond? I think the last bit is shortened to 'Specials'. That brings back a lot of memories!

Colin

Yes you could be correct with Bond instead of the Amphicar, although there was a guy in the 80's with one who was in in the Club?

In the 80's the car were shown on the front cover of the Courier around the Logo? 

Must have a look when I'm in the Loft again!

I believed the explanation Gary gave for a long time, until I discovered that although the amphicar looks like a Herald and has a Triumph engine, it was made in Germany by the Quandt group. So I wouldn’t have thought it would qualify as one of the six.

And I think this has been on here before, or maybe the old site, somebody posted an early Courier (l have an inkling early club mag wasn’t called the Courier) and it seems the God like being Mr Lewis is once again correct. Damn his vitals!!!! 😡

Doug

19 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

Colin

Yes you could be correct with Bond instead of the Amphicar, although there was a guy in the 80's with one who was in in the Club?

In the 80's the car were shown on the front cover of the Courier around the Logo? 

Must have a look when I'm in the Loft again!

They used to have an Amphicar section in The Courier, written by David Chapman.

• Like 1

Hello,

Ironically and closer to home the TSSC website site home page, under "About The Club" gives some clues:

Founded in1977, the Triumph Sports Six Club (TSSC) has traditionally catered for Herald and Spitfire based vehicles including the Herald, Spitfire, Vitesse, GT6, Bond Equipe and Specials based on the mother chassis or mechanicals. As a further evolution, in 2002, the Club's 25th Anniversary year, the TSSC took on additional formal aims which included the promotion and preservation of Standard Triumph vehicles and their derivatives in general and hence opened its doors to owners and enthusiasts of all Standard Triumph cars. 

Regards.

Richard.

All is revealed, as I recalled that I had a copy of "Turning Circle" that preceded the Courier as the TSSC mag.     And the masthead on the front cover looks like this:

1823130737_TurningCircleFeb1989.thumb.jpg.b8c383efaf2dfd6c722af9ee6832f14c.jpg

It shows clearly the Sports Six!   Left to right, Bond, Vitesse, Herald, Spitfire, GT6 and a Special.

I apologise to Bond owners for forgetting them, FAR more aligned to other Triumphs than the dreaded floating Hun!

As this proves that Pete is infallible, should we not promote him from 10th Dan to Pope, or at the least Magisterium? 

Image result for Pope smiley

John

On 19/11/2019 at 10:01, Paul H said:

Here’s some pics of my carb setup Mk2 Vitesse

Any more detail let me know 

Paul 2C011DAC-311E-4AA2-8174-4895BD7802D5.thumb.jpeg.ea3a45f403052c49b4ae7a95eed5e46c.jpegCD0C5CA3-F064-467D-8B47-971A514172E9.thumb.jpeg.db4d3cd6d2fbba1af0121789696add3a.jpeg852C072B-41E5-4072-9B28-02AE4130E6BF.thumb.jpeg.e1470c17b700f20d2c6674ea01f77ef0.jpeg852C072B-41E5-4072-9B28-02AE4130E6BF.thumb.jpeg.e1470c17b700f20d2c6674ea01f77ef0.jpeg

C53A96EC-C5A2-4891-B163-1A5F47341D13.jpeg

On 19/11/2019 at 10:01, Paul H said:

Here’s some pics of my carb setup Mk2 Vitesse

Any more detail let me know 

Paul 2C011DAC-311E-4AA2-8174-4895BD7802D5.thumb.jpeg.ea3a45f403052c49b4ae7a95eed5e46c.jpegCD0C5CA3-F064-467D-8B47-971A514172E9.thumb.jpeg.db4d3cd6d2fbba1af0121789696add3a.jpeg852C072B-41E5-4072-9B28-02AE4130E6BF.thumb.jpeg.e1470c17b700f20d2c6674ea01f77ef0.jpeg852C072B-41E5-4072-9B28-02AE4130E6BF.thumb.jpeg.e1470c17b700f20d2c6674ea01f77ef0.jpeg

C53A96EC-C5A2-4891-B163-1A5F47341D13.jpeg

8 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

Thanks Gary, I will see if I can get hold of a copy.   Pat

I think the club magazine has been the 'Courier' from the start.  The 'Turning Circle' editions were published alongside, at irregular intervals,  and each of these was focussed on one particular model of the Sports Six family. The 'Turning Circles' were quietly dropped and never mentioned again beyond the late 80s. It must have been very difficult to find sufficient material to fill a magazine based on just one variant and the Couriers of that time were often quiet 'thin', with some recycling of articles from earlier issues.

Adrian