New Forum member with dodgy Rootes

Richard,

The 1600cc engine that I've taken out of the Alpine (and which is now surplus to requirements due to my recon 1725cc and box)  has an O/D unit fitted, do I recall correctly that you mentioned previously it would be usable for the Vitesse with some machining mods? 

All of this will be academic if I find a car with O/D, but I'd like to be prepared for the worst case.

Ian

Ian,

Both cars use the D-Type O/D albeit the Alpine has a sliding rear flange which would need to be adapted tor a fixed Vitesse flange.

I am presuming that is possible, or the prop could be adapted - again I presume that may be possible.

Hopefully another contributor might be able to add on that.

As you say, all this is academic as no car yet.

Regards.

Richard. 

Owen Springs is the name that eluded me. 

John Bonnet (remember John, lightweight GT4 with ali body?) had Owen make him a spring and John was very pleased with it. Heard good things elsewhere too.

Maybe somebody needs to get a batch made up? that may make them cheaper.

Clive,

Have heard from John? I had a missing petrol tank stay, probably from new, never noticed. John very kindly made me one, stainless! I thought about putting a label on it “Made by John Bonnet”.

Very surprised when he sold the GT4 to make space for another project.

Doug

2 hours ago, clive said:

Owen Springs is the name that eluded me. 

That's a good website; I'm interested to see they sell the clips as separate items, plus the little rubber buttons too. I've refurbished a few Herald springs in recent years but had to reuse the original clips and spacer tubes which were rustier than I'd have liked.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's a good website; I'm interested to see they sell the clips as separate items, plus the little rubber buttons too. I've refurbished a few Herald springs in recent years but had to reuse the original clips and spacer tubes which were rustier than I'd have liked.

When I refurbished my spring just cut some stainless tube to length with stainless bolts and nuts, clips should be easy to make. As to the buttons bought a sheet of polyurethane and suitably sized wad punch, found I could not hammer the punch through the sheet and ended up using my hydraulic bearing puller as a press.

Regards

Paul 

41 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

When I refurbished my spring just cut some stainless tube to length with stainless bolts and nuts, clips should be easy to make.

Yes likewise Paul see photos

Regards.

Richard.LS6.thumb.JPG.8c6874affd2df18de35825e5f03d2ca4.JPGLS30.thumb.JPG.fcc2115c3e03da989fe357fe32d1d696.JPG

LS32.JPG