Improving a Vitesse 2L Rear Suspension

40 minutes ago, SixasStandard said:

Thanks Nick,

It sounds like a Mk2 spec car upgraded with a CV conversion offers the optimal solution of performance, predictability and reliability...……...but at a cost.

Regards,

Ian

I would add upgrading to vertical shockers as supplied by the Club . From my part being totally new to home mechanics changing the rotoflexes , wheel bearings etc was very difficult and proving you don’t have a time constraint it’s possible . I purchased my doughnuts , wheel bearings from Canleys and so far 2 years on and approx 4000 miles all good . You will need a spring lifter to assist with reassembly . Purchase one when they are cheap £25 ish not when you need one £45 plus or if you are close to Luton Pete will hire a TSSC one 

Paul 

8 hours ago, SixasStandard said:

Thanks Nick,

It sounds like a Mk2 spec car upgraded with a CV conversion offers the optimal solution of performance, predictability and reliability...……...but at a cost.

Regards,

Ian

It does.  Mine has probably done > 50k now and some hard driven miles amongst them. The diff has had enough but the rest is ok.

The OE shafts are pretty reliable too if only you can get hold of decent rotoflex couplings and decent UJs.

Nick

Dave did you have to unseize the bolt through the rear trunnion - Ive just done the drivers side and it was really easy and have started the passenger side and its proving to be a nightmare - the bolts all seem in very poor condition and badly chewed, Ive managed to free the shock absorber and remove, the spring bolt is now free, however the tie bars bolts and the rear trunnion are another matter so any tips gratefully received. Im busy dousing the bolts and nuts with penetrating oil but Im not hopeful.

Ive moved this to the correct thread.

Those bolts can be a real pig and you need patience along with plenty of Plus Gas soaking in to the thread and adjacent surfaces; add to that the possibility of directed heat - it is a task and a half. 

Do not be frightened to use a monster size breaker bar, because that may well do the trick without further damage to the nut head resulting from numerous failed attempts. It's a big bolt and can take a lot of torque hence the breaker bar.

Good luck.

Richard.