Dunlop D1 wheels x4

Conor L

Hello Conor,

Pity you did not attend the Triumph Spares Day, there was a set of 4x second hand in almost unblemished condition - asking £170 and probably went for a shade under that; certainly sold within the first couple of hours of the event.

I purchased brand new a couple of years ago. They came with tyre valves, centre caps plus the Dunlop logo and ordered Tuner nuts to go on the MGF studs I fitted to the car. 

IMHO they look superb and set the Vitesse off nicely; along with being something different from the norm.

Regards.

Richard.

3 hours ago, classiclife said:

Hello Conor,

Pity you did not attend the Triumph Spares Day, there was a set of 4x second hand in almost unblemished condition - asking £170 and probably went for a shade under that; certainly sold within the first couple of hours of the event.

I purchased brand new a couple of years ago. They came with tyre valves, centre caps plus the Dunlop logo and ordered Tuner nuts to go on the MGF studs I fitted to the car. 

IMHO they look superb and set the Vitesse off nicely; along with being something different from the norm.

Regards.

Richard.

Richard I did attend the show and I did see the set you are referring to, just went to a different area to check my online banking and they went I was gutted to say the least. I completely agree with you they are a nice looking wheel and really suit the cars!

That is very bad news Conor, it makes you wish you never saw them !!

Fingers crossed for a set, but have to say the 4x at Stoneleigh are the first I've seen come up second hand, for many a year. 

I got mine from R&R Alloys in Bedfordshire. They still stock them and with postage you are looking at just over £300; bit of a jump from £175 but brand new with everything thrown in.

As for tyres I went for 165/70/13 Dunlop Street Response 2 - everyone has their favourites (as I am sure you will hear !!) they just happened to suit me at the time.

Regards.

Richard. 

17 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

They do look good on a dark coloured car?😊

I think they'd look good on any coloured car. My Vitesse is white and sports Minilites at the moment, but I hope to swap to D1s at some point in the future. My imaging software is pretty basic, but I've done a 'virtual wheel change' to see what it would look like...…...ooh!, suits me sir!!

Ian 

White Triumph Vitesse with D1s.jpg

• Like 2

Hello Ian,

It may be the paint shop adjustment, but I think a white car does not show these particular wheels off to their best - it's the silver on the rim and ribs that clashes IMHO; although your image shows the silvering to be very bright which is not correct in real life. The darker the car the better these wheels suit - as I said, just my interpretation. Sorry fella, but you as know you get it direct from me where required !!

If at all possible, it will be worth placing a couple of D1's on your car (before purchasing) to get a better perspective - which of course is going to be easier said than achieved, as not many cars use them which obviously shows a complete lack of style & taste  😊 !!

Regards.

Richard.

7 hours ago, clive said:

Can't go wrong with a set of Dunlop 5.5j hubcap steelies. I still maintain they are the very best looking wheel on heralds/vitesse/roundtail spit+GT6.

Everybody else is wrong.

I'll agree you can't beat original wheels with chrome hubcaps and trims, but I'm running 4.5s so will have to raise you -1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'll agree you can't beat original wheels with chrome hubcaps and trims, but I'm running 4.5s so will have to raise you -1.

Sorry. As above, you are wrong! 

I am not sure why the 5.5J steel wheels work so well visually (not bad for driving either!) but they are just a little more muscular/less "twee" without being obvious. Not sure about the trims though. 

Anyway, seems I am "down wiv da kids" on this, they like deep dish wheels 😎

• Like 1

This is spooky!...…...after doing an online search of my new Vitesse's registration number, I have found a picture of my car whilst in previous ownership...…..and don't they look like 5.5Js it's wearing??

Now this has got me thinking...…...maybe (and I can't believe I'm saying this)…….maybe Clive has got something here!!

Ian

Previous Owner - Copy.jpg

45 minutes ago, SixasStandard said:

"Everything is repeated in a cycle. History is a master because it teaches us that it doesn't exist"

That's not a bad attempt, Ian, in fact very good. Only problem you have missed a bit !! It should conclude:

It's the permutations that matter.

Foucalt's Pendulum by Umberto Eco I believe.

Regards.

Richard.

10 hours ago, classiclife said:

That's not a bad attempt, Ian, in fact very good. Only problem you have missed a bit !! It should conclude:

It's the permutations that matter.

Foucalt's Pendulum by Umberto Eco I believe. 

Regards.

Richard.

You are a man of learning and conventional discernment Richard...…..but as a visionary Umberto Eco would almost certainly have favoured the permutation of D1s on a White Vitesse.

Regards,

Ian  

4.2 or 4.7 Tiger? I had a quick ride in a 4.7 when I was about 17 - it was proper quick and the lady that owned it was planning to get it rebuilt with a strong, steel, bottom end. Not sure he ever did as I've not really seen her since I left the job (Petrol station "minder" 🤣 when I was at 6th form.)