Any idea what spitfire this engine came out of??

jiggawhat2k

Hi all, wonder if anyone can help. I've bought a running engine that was pulled out of a spitfire that was crashed (rear end crash). 

I'm struggling to identify what it came out of, the seller said it is a 1300 from a spitfire but it may not have been the original engine from that car. Mk3, mk4? 

Is there anymore information that can be gleaned from the pics?? 

Planning on cleaning it up and fit to my Herald 13 60 in a couple of weeks. 

Thanks! 

20200229_200813.jpg

20200229_201033.jpg

20200229_201040.jpg

20200229_201103.jpg

20200229_201047.jpg

The flat panel on the engine block to the left of the distributor in this cropped photo, (to the right when the engine is fitted) and above the red bit, is the engine number.

block.thumb.jpg.628004e6f9c76dcfc3326beb9dfadc5b.jpg

I can see the first digit which is F.

FC, FD, FE, FH,FK and FM are all Spitfire engines. A 1300 Mk3 engine will be FD, FE, whilst the later engines will be FH or FK. 

FM is 1500.

• Thanks 1

yes you were looking at casting numbers and its a common mistake. They appear on the different large cast components of our cars but the hand stamped unique numbers found on engine, gearbox, differential etc are the ones needed to really identify exactly what youve got. However note that even then over 50+ years the internals of those components may have been fiddled with so not correspond with the original spec🤔

For example your engine should have been built orginally with a certain cylinder head which can be verified now by its casting number. However, even if the engine still has the original type head, it may have been modified by a previous owner so working out what youve got can be a bit of a minefield!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

and when you find the number here is a list of model prefix 

https://www.canleyclassics.com/technical-archive/engine-number-identification-chart

Pete

1 hour ago, johny said:

yes you were looking at casting numbers and its a common mistake. They appear on the different large cast components of our cars but the hand stamped unique numbers found on engine, gearbox, differential etc are the ones needed to really identify exactly what youve got. However note that even then over 50+ years the internals of those components may have been fiddled with so not correspond with the original spec🤔

For example your engine should have been built orginally with a certain cylinder head which can be verified now by its casting number. However, even if the engine still has the original type head, it may have been modified by a previous owner so working out what youve got can be a bit of a minefield!

Hmm good point. The gearbox and diff are original Herald ones, going to see how they hold up. 

Th seller did mention the head was different so I should check that. 

Is there a preferable head for the 1300 out O the various options? 

Thanks for the help Johny! 

• 3 weeks later...

For those interested (not particularly interesting I know...) 

Bottom end has an FH marking so a mk4, the head is 218142 so a big valve head with 9:1 compression. 

Not the small valve everyone talks about but good enough for me to throw into the Herald! Goes in tomorrow then I'll potentially have a driving car... 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steve P said:

I ran an unknown FH 1300 engine in my Herald for 5 years,i had twin SU`s and an overdrive gearbox and 3:63 diff.

Was a great combo,i even completed the CT Round Britain run in it.

Now swapped for a 1500.

Steve

Ah nice to know if worked!! I've also added twin SUs. 

We got the old engine out and the new one in today, needs timing and exhaust sorting but apart from that it was a success! My ebay engine hoist turned out to be excellent (apart from the 2 hours to put it together...). 

20200321_164532.thumb.jpg.258a5d5321a770fd39172a24ab59030a.jpg20200321_115112.thumb.jpg.89e2fced8ae8b042c70de4f19a0841e4.jpg20200321_114623.thumb.jpg.b01d07af3e42ba511ebd42323afe9d49.jpg20200321_112209.thumb.jpg.0ebe813e7dce794d75d58edbca9c810b.jpg

8 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The hoist makes things so much easier.

Where did you get the alloy rad from?

That Rad is one of the Chinese E bay specials,i have one on my Herald as well,mine has the angled plate by the filler too.

i paid about £100 i think but i have seen them cheaper.

I still haven`t worked out why mine doesn`t ever let hot water to the expansion bottle.

Steve