Distributor clamp

bengaku

Hi quick question the clamp on my distributor doesn't tighten up might be a problem with the nut or bolt rimmer bros dont have any in stock so does anyone know the correct size as hopefully i just need a new bolt and nut to sort out the problem thanks for looking regards Paul 

i reckon its a 1/4"unf bolt the square nut is just so its a one spanner job (stops the nut rotating)  but a normal nut will work  early versions used a historic BSF thread but the thread is not the bible   sorry dont have the length  but any bolt of the right diameter will clamp

note lucas and delco have different base diameters so the clamps are not interchangable

if it wont clamp  do you have the correct clamp to match your dizzy ??

pete

13 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i reckon its a 1/4"unf bolt the square nut is just so its a one spanner job (stops the nut rotating)  but a normal nut will work  early versions used a historic BSF thread but the thread is not the bible   sorry dont have the length  but any bolt of the right diameter will clamp

note lucas and delco have different base diameters so the clamps are not interchangable

pete

Now I hadn't thought of that I changed over the distributor for an electronic ignition system and just got the whole unit so maybe that's the issue although I changed it over last july and hadn't notice any problems until the other day car started to run a bit sluggish and was making a poping noise so checked timming and noticed it was out a tiny bit and that's when I noticed clamp wasn't tightening up correctly 

21 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

pete

I just took a look at a spare Delco distributor. It's 1/4" with a square nut but the thread looks much coarser than UNF, seems to be UNC. Don't know if the Lucas version is different.

Nigel

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

they are a bit elusive 

normal suppliers are all seemingly  NLA    but maybe accu or distributor doctor  or a scrappy trader

pete

Just checked I fitted a power spark 45D do what type of clamp does that require any ideas 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-Distributor-Clamp-45D-25D-O-E-3H2138-MGC-MGB-MG-Midget-Sprite-Mini-Cooper/283796650856?epid=13005092767&hash=item4213993b68:g:RoAAAOSw4AJcbXlf

They're used by almost any car that used the Lucas distributor, so plenty about - this one even has the original nut and screw.