Breakdown Cover

Phil Hayden

10 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Not so "modern", then? 😊

It's a very late Mk3 of a model that's currently at Mk5. It's still the second youngest car I've ever owned (the youngest was a W-reg Dolomite 1500 that I bought in 1990).

I'm on my second, although I preferred the first I had, a 2007 1.6 petrol. This new one is a 1.6 diesel from 2012, 6-speed, a lot of features I hardly use, and a hefty Insurance hike - but only £30 tax, the other was £220. 58 miles to the gallon isn't bad either.

22 hours ago, NonMember said:

Be careful with the small print on that! Last time I looked the "member cover" option (from all the major breakdown services) covers you for any vehicle under 15 years old that you're in.

(Edit: In my case, that actually excludes SWMBO's car and, from next year, my modern)

Hmm. Renewal due soon anyway, so I will take note of that. My Punto is a 54 reg. so It may be time to "Review".

Pete

23 hours ago, NonMember said:

Be careful with the small print on that! Last time I looked the "member cover" option (from all the major breakdown services) covers you for any vehicle under 15 years old that you're in.

Does that mean ANY vehicle under 15 years that you're IN ie anyone's car, even as a passenger, but if over 15 years of age, you have to either own it, or notify them about it? Worth checking...

I have just been renewing my breakdown cover and speaking to the RAC who I have been with for 33 years.
The cover I have is Personal Cover -Personal Family cover.
Roadside
At Home
Recovery
Onward Travel.
This covers up to 3 members of a family at the same address as a driver or passenger in any vehicle.
I had been reading through their cover restrictions and could not find anything regarding age of vehicle so as life's too short specifically asked if there was any age restrictions with this cover and both companies confirmed no.
Obviously depends on a number of factors I assume location etc.. but for a guide this cover cost £209 for 15 months., same from AA but for 12 months, you have to haggle.😉
European travel cover ...not to be taken at this time about £95 for a year.

Waiting for a quote from Peter James - Multi car and breakdown, as I like the sound of the cover they offer particularly in respect to classic cars and cover abroad.

Phil