Rotoflex Vitesse brake pipe routing

Nick Jones

My Vitesse is bitser, with rotoflex chassis / suspension and Mk1 body.  Even after 30 years of ownership, this throws up the occasional question as a result.

With it partly in bits for some fettling and the diff removed, I've noticed that the hard brake line that runs across the car (from 3 way union on LH rear to flexihose on RH rear, has been rubbing gently on the top of the diff.  It's a steel pipe installed 30 years ago, and while no more than polished by the contact, I have a strong suspicion that the routing is wrong.  I have some other pipes to renew - so now is the time - but where is it supposed to go?

On a roto GT6 it clips to the cross-member behind the heel board, which doesn't exist on a Vitesse.......

Thanks

Nick

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-vitesse&diagram=triumph-vitesse-hydraulic-pipes

That implies it goes up and over the upper crossmember? But I have always (probably incorrectly) run brake pipes across the back of the lower crossmember. I can't recall finding a pipe route different to that on any cars I have owned over the years, but most have led miserable lives and been through the hands of the "mot standard" garage repairs or worse.

Can’t find a diagram that differentiates between mk 1 and mk 2? All the swing axle cars have that pipe running along the lower rear x- member with the flexi-hoses going to the wheels behind the axles.

Roto cars have the hoses well ahead of the axles with special extensions on the radius arm brackets to keep them away from the Roto couplings.  For this reason the cross-pipe stays forward of the axle, though not sure what the “official” route is on a Vitesse.....

Nick

Hmm, that's a thought. My flexis use the support tower for the upper crossmember instead of a bracket (I have drilled the tower), but I an't remember the route of the pipework. But mine is very much "fit where it will" as all a bit different. 

The rear brake pipe links across and is fixed to the underside of the rear tub on the Mk2 Vitesse, with the clip shown as Item 39 on the Link shown by Clive and as below.

I think the position of the clip is slightly forward of the chassis bridge.

triumph-vitesse-hydraulic-pipes.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Gary. 

Looking now on a PC I can see that Clive's original reply was in fact perfectly good (sorry Clive!)  - the link goes straight to the pic you've posted.  Looking on my phone (earlier and now) it goes somewhere different (though does briefly flash up something that could be that pic).

Anyway, that gives me something to work with.  Think I'm going to be wishing I hadn't put the diff back in...... but the body is still raised about 4".

Nick

On 06/05/2020 at 09:11, Nick Jones said:

Can’t find a diagram that differentiates between mk 1 and mk 2? All the swing axle cars have that pipe running along the lower rear x- member with the flexi-hoses going to the wheels behind the axles.

Roto cars have the hoses well ahead of the axles with special extensions on the radius arm brackets to keep them away from the Roto couplings.  For this reason the cross-pipe stays forward of the axle, though not sure what the “official” route is on a Vitesse.....

Nick

Nick,

If you can wait until tomorrow - I'll post a pic, as I'm halfway through the CV shaft fit, so the car's up on stands. I do recall replacing the pipe, years ago, with the diff in situ. It's a squeeze ,but possible.

Gav

I did mine with the diff in it was tight esp with big hands I did use 3 clips to hold the pipe to the body/axle tunnel also bending the pipe thro 180 degrees on the rh chassis rail to get the joint pointing backwards took some doing esp in steel bundy pipe were not allowed to use copper here in Aus.

Pics would be great. Spring is still out, which ought to help.  It’s kunifer pipe. Not as obliging as copper, but easier than Bundy. Waiting for the fittings to arrive now...... but it’s ok, I’ve just found some holes in the bottom of the main chassis rails by the diff, so more work.......☹️

Nick

Hi Nick,

Just crawled under car this a.m. to take some pics - some better quality than others, but car is up hard against wall on one side. Hopefully it'll give you an idea of pipe routing. As mentioned I replaced the original pipe with diff in situ - so it's not beautifully neat, trying to bend tight corners is not easy, but it does the job.

Gav

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Thanks Paul. That’s put a slightly different slant on Gav’s pictures.......

I’ve done it now and it’s not quite like that........ but it’s a lot better than it was.

I’ve had Heralds and this Vitesse for a long time, but only the one. Never had a good look at Mk2 tub in the flesh. Nice clear shot of the handbrake guides I don’t have too 😀

Nick