Body paint colour

Philip Jordan

Good afternoon, the current issue of the Courier shows a Vitesse in what appears to be Conifer green but also has a cream/ ivory stripe down the side which wraps onto the headlamp surrounds!    I'm wondering if anyone knows what colour the cream is and if it is a Triumph colour please?  If it isn't a specific Triumph colour would the owner of said Vitesse know what shade of cream/ ivory it is please?  As part of the current work being carried out on my own Vitesse convertible the car will undergo a full re-spray in it's existing Conifer but I'm looking to have the same cream/ ivory stripe applied as well!  I know there's a MG colour, Sequoia Cream/ Ivory, which is quite a deep shade of cream, which I both like and think compliments the conifer well, but would prefer a Triumph colour if there's one available!!

Hello Philip,

A lot of the older classics used a white called Old English White, which appeared to have a slightly creamy tinge and less harsh than pure white.

Not sure if that is the correct Triumph colour, but it is well known.

Regards.

Richard. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2020 at 13:39, classiclife said:

Hello Philip,

A lot of the older classics used a white called Old English White, which appeared to have a slightly creamy tinge and less harsh than pure white.

Regards.

Richard. 

Thank you Richard.  I'll see what shades the paint sprayer has available but the OEW is likely to be the better option.

On 13/05/2020 at 20:44, thescrapman said:

With a conifer car it may welll be a cactus stripe.

What page number is it on, I have looked through and can't spot it.

I was convinced it was the cover photo of the May Courier but, having checked the magazine again, that is a red Vitesse complete with stripe.  Thinking I was going completely round the bend I've eventually found the picture in question on one of the TSSC fb posts.  I'm guessing, now I've looked again and taking in what Richard has said above about OEW, I think that is what it could be on this particular Vitesse??

Image may contain: car, sky, boat and outdoor

It's always hard to be sure about exact colours when presented only with a digital photo. However, I'd say that was a Triumph White stripe on a blue car - I can't remember the name of the particular blue, it's a slightly greeenish medium-dark shade.

3 hours ago, NonMember said:

I'd say that was a Triumph White stripe on a blue car - I can't remember the name of the particular blue, it's a slightly greeenish medium-dark shade.

Hopefully the owner will spot it on here and let us know the exact shade, but the white is probably as you say Triumph White code 19. NOT Old English White which is an MG colour which some paint shops will claim it's the same, but there's a definite difference. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Triumph White code 19. NOT Old English White which is an MG colour which some paint shops will claim it's the same, but there's a definite difference. 

Oh yes, definitely different. My first Vitesse was (mostly) Triumph White (19) and my GT6 (which left the factory in nappy kak (54) but had been resprayed by a PO) is Old English. Not the same.

My current Vitesse is mostly a Jaguar colour but the recent repairs are a Ford colour, while the Spitfire - originally Damson (17) - is now BLMC Damask. Not a single original Triumph colour among the lot 😧

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The correct White used on the Vitesse was code 19. Called Triumph White on the Vitesse and the same code 19 called New White on TR's of the same period. The White does have a creamy shade. Only 1600 had the strip as original, i.e. Produced by the factory. It wasn't available on the 2 Litre models. Old English White is a BMC colour, Austin/Morris.

Dave

DSC03953.JPG

• 7 months later...
On 13/05/2020 at 13:39, classiclife said:

Hello Philip,

Regards.

Richard. 

I’ve had a 1951 XK 120 drophead and a 1959 Austin Healey 3000 Mk 1 both painted in Old English White.   Your description is exactly right.  Funnily enough, it is also the colour that English Heritage suggest I use on the exterior of my Grade II listed house many years ago.  I had a small touch up tin of that colour and I touched up odd bits of woodwork around the less exposed parts of the house. It matched perfectly but flaked off about two months later. That might have had something to do with the woodwork being 650 years old, but since I bought that Halfords pot in 1984 I expect that the paint had perished.

16 hours ago, Ascalon said:

That might have had something to do with the woodwork being 650 years old, but since I bought that Halfords pot in 1984 I expect that the paint had perished.

650 years old?? They must be so inefficient, must be a major Contributor to global warming.

Perhaps the government ought to promote a "Scrappage" scheme for old windows and offer incentives for people to rip them out and replace them with modern ultra efficient triple glazed UPVC units. would help support the flagging replacement window businesses as a bonus, generating extra tax revenues if I was being cynical.

Mmmm... nah, don't think so. 🙂

8 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Perhaps the government ought to promote a "Scrappage" scheme for old windows and offer incentives for people to rip them out and replace them with modern ultra efficient triple glazed UPVC units. would help support the flagging replacement window businesses as a bonus, generating extra tax revenues if I was being cynical.

Mmmm... nah, don't think so. 🙂

A friend is renovating an old rental property and he told me he has to fit wooden frame windows as wood is more thermally efficient than UVPC. He is not happy about it from the maintenance and longevity point of view.

Regards

Paul

17 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

A friend is renovating an old rental property and he told me he has to fit wooden frame windows as wood is more thermally efficient than UVPC. He is not happy about it from the maintenance and longevity point of view.

Regards

Paul

I suspect it is because the house is in  a conservation area? I can't see how the council can over ride national planning laws. 

(my rentals are mainly in conservation areas. So have uPVC at the back, and wood box sash at the front. In a couple of places I had new hardwood windows made, and broke the law by fitting them with double glazed units, not that anybody has noticed!)