GT6 Chrome (plastic) trim on the door cards

rulloyd

The plastic chrome trim (finisher) running along between the top of the door card and the bottom of the door capping on my GT6 doors is beyond repair.  Although it's in the parts manual, it has no part number and appears to be not available anywhere.  I've looked around for something similar (including Woolies) to no avail.  Has anybody come up with any innovative alternative please?  Profile as below (the curved bit sits on top of the door card and is no more than 3mm)

Many thanks

Rich

IMG_2962.JPG

Rich,

I’m also interested In some of these. Both mine are broken in the middle, I had thought I’d seen something that would do on Woolies. Just a “C” section that could be glued in place, but not sure the scale is small enough. Will buy a small length soon to check it out.

Doug

First thing that comes to mind is ceramic tile edging strip in chromed plastic; it's got a long flat backing piece to hold it in place behind the door cars and you can get it in a variety of sizes... all you would see would be the curved top piece coming down over your lower card edge. Might be worth a try?

3663602911920_01c-2.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rulloyd said:

The plastic chrome trim (finisher) running along between the top of the door card and the bottom of the door capping on my GT6 doors is beyond repair.  Although it's in the parts manual, it has no part number and appears to be not available anywhere.  I've looked around for something similar (including Woolies) to no avail.  Has anybody come up with any innovative alternative please?  Profile as below (the curved bit sits on top of the door card and is no more than 3mm)

Many thanks

Rich

IMG_2962.JPG

Hello Rich,

You say that the strips are beyond repair, but if you are referring to the chrome surface finish rather than the actual structure of the strip, then there is also the option to cover the strips in chrome wrap film. I know this sounds like a bit of a tacky bodge.......but I tried the stuff to refurbish the chrome front grille on my Sunbeam Alpine, and it turned out really well, and saved me a pot load of money over a replacement grille. It is cheap to buy and would be really easy to apply to simple sections like your trim strips. It's just a case of peel and stick.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirror-Chrome-Vinyl-Wrap-Silver-All-Sizes/200973807896?var=500192405902&hash=item2ecaf8f118:g:CnkAAOxyBXNSWDdJ

I'm sure that there'll be some scepticism about using this product, but all I can say is that it was ideal for the grille on my Alpine, and I've attached a few pictures to give you an idea of the finished result.

Ian    

DSC05192 - Copy.JPG

DSC05193 - Copy.JPG

DSC05194 - Copy.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SixasStandard said:

Hello Rich,

You say that the strips are beyond repair, but if you are referring to the chrome surface finish rather than the actual structure of the strip, then there is also the option to cover the strips in chrome wrap film. I know this sounds like a bit of a tacky bodge.......but I tried the stuff to refurbish the chrome front grille on my Sunbeam Alpine, and it turned out really well, and saved me a pot load of money over a replacement grille. It is cheap to buy and would be really easy to apply to simple sections like your trim strips. It's just a case of peel and stick.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirror-Chrome-Vinyl-Wrap-Silver-All-Sizes/200973807896?var=500192405902&hash=item2ecaf8f118:g:CnkAAOxyBXNSWDdJ

I'm sure that there'll be some scepticism about using this product, but all I can say is that it was ideal for the grille on my Alpine, and I've attached a few pictures to give you an idea of the finished result.

Ian    

DSC05192 - Copy.JPG

DSC05193 - Copy.JPG

DSC05194 - Copy.JPG

Would this chrome wrap work on Vitesse bumpers ?

Paul 

Thanks for the suggestions.  I had thought about tile edging but a thorough internet search had not come up with anything of such small profile.  The closest is 6mm which is really too big.   I've now looked for door strip but no luck there either. 😠

Ian - your grill looks amazing!  Unfortunately my trimis in pieces after years of neglect.  I don't even have all the pieces unfortunately.

What's frustrating is that the profile is so simple you KNOW someting somewhere uses something similar, but what!

I'll probably ask the facebook crew also - in case someone has someone has teh trim sitting around waiting for a home!

My car is getting close to competion now so it's the fine details that matter....

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

Would this chrome wrap work on Vitesse bumpers ?

Paul 

Hello Paul,

I did buy this chrome wrap with the idea of also trying it out on the bumpers of my Alpine, but in practice I wasn't able to get it to mould around the compound curves of the bumper profile sufficiently to give a good result. That being said, the stuff I bought from E-Bay was at the lower end of the quality scale, and the materials and skills available at professional wrap companies will be of a much higher quality. If I were seriously considering re-chroming bumpers of any classic, and wanted to keep costs down, I would certainly consider dropping in to a local vehicle wrapping company to get a quote.

Ian

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Old thread I know but from what I heard wrapping has to be done with the wrap being really warm, like 40°C warm in order for it to match a compound shape.

It could also be a quality issue...

I might try this out as well as chroming is stupid expensive in Germany and I have not found anyone with experience with the "new" methods that use some sort of poder coating or some other technique...