Spitfire Oil Warning Light - broken? Won't come on

The more work I do on the Spitfire, the more work I uncover!  My green oil warning light doesn't illuminate at all.  I've read that it is connected to the BRAKE warning spangle, and that glows a faint red.   If I disconnect the oil pressure sensor the BRAKE warning light goes out (and oil light remains off),  if I take the oil warning light bulb out of the housing, the BRAKE warning light goes out again until I put the bulb back.  The bulb looks fine, and the fact that  the BRAKE warning light appears to react suggests the bulb is ok too.   I've changed the oil pressure sensor for a new one but the problem is still there.  Open to suggestions please.

Two possibilities spring to mind:

- The dual bulb thing (brake warning and oil light) works by connecting the bulbs in series with the oil switch at the bottom and the PWDA grounding the middle. If the bulbs are the same type (same resistance both cold and hot) this works fine. If the oil light bulb is of significantly lower resistance than the brake one then it won't illuminate, just as you're having.

- I had a main beam warning light fail an MOT once. When I took it out to change the bulb I found that it worked fine. Put it back in and no sign of life. It turned out the rubber "stray light barrier" round the end of the fitting tube, which is supposed to ensure the bulb only illuminates the jewel and not the whole instrument, had heat-shrunk until it was completely closed off.

It is a very strange setup, in full working order the oil light isn't bright at all. One of the first jobs I did years ago was to split the system, fitting a switch on the handbrake lever at the same time. The oil light is now full brightness and a handbrake warning light as well as the original brake warning light. (The handbrake switch is an easy fit, the switch is available as a Triumph part number.)

If the oil light bulb is of significantly lower resistance than the brake one then it won't illuminate

One of the first jobs I did years ago was to split the system,

Thanks guys!  Good suggestions.   I had to do more work on the Spitfire today, and when I put it back in the garage (where it is dark) I noticed the oil light was just working, but only a faint glow... like you said.  I may try a different bulb and see if that helps..  Or buy 2 bulbs the same and fit them to the brake warning and oil sensor (so at least I rule out a different resistance issue).   How hard is it to spilt the system like you said above?

the basis of the twin lamp idea is the oil pressure circuit tests the brake warning bulb is not failed 

as it will only come on if the pdwa valve shifts the piston /operates its switch in normal driving you would never know if it had a bulb failure 

pretty common idea on many cars with early twin line brakes 

Pete

22 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

Hi,

I shorted my brake warning light out so the oil pressure light was normal intensity.

Worked great!

Sometime later the PDWA activated. Harness went pusssssssshhhhhhhhh & car filled with smoke.

LOL not.

Iain.

I have some spare in a jar for moments like this.

Lucas smoke.jpg

• Haha 1