Vitesse- Heater box drain elbow

MikeSz

I need a solution to install the pipe & elbow to the heater box that is attached to the bulkhead of my Vitesse. The elbow part 609156, & pipe 616206 appear to be no longer available. Has anybody got this parts for sale, or any ideas for a fix. This is also the same as the Herald model range.

The rubber boots are real hens teeth these days; I have one for each of my Heralds and one still has the price sticker from Mick Dolphin, so he may have more. All we can do is to keep an eye out at autojumbles etc but put a post in the 'Parts Wanted' section and then we'll know to keep a look out.

EA3E614A-158A-4F2E-B112-0C58D6715274_1_105_c.jpg.6c1a7f5c807d04c5baf4284bb4176cb9.jpg

The pipe itself can be awkward; the choice is to either cut it straight off as per the later cars and fit a flap, or else source a suitable replacement pipe. I tried it three times on my early 1200 and found out that the pipe does not come straight out of the heater panel; if it does, the heater box will rock on top of it. It needs to have a curve so that it rests off the bulkhead but not touching the heater. Twice I had straight pipes welded on and twice they had to come off again. The solution was a length of 1.5 inch exhaust pipe, using a curved section; if it was cut down through the curve at an angle then the end face sits flat against the heater panel but drops almost immediately then curves flat again under the heater and most importantly up off the bulkhead. It took a bit of trial and error but we got the right curve eventually.

DSCF6502.jpg.2c92d5b83ebc3dcb426f604e4c4c6f99.jpg 6355B27A-42E4-4F62-9A16-93F0A307B6D3_1_105_c.jpg.2410990b3a0d365ce3416ad110cb19bb.jpg

Thanks for the Mick Dolphin tip for spares, this was new to me so could be useful for other spares. No elbow in stock though. I don't have a pipe coming out,  just a hole, so a home made flap might work.

12 hours ago, MikeSz said:

Thanks for the Mick Dolphin tip for spares, this was new to me so could be useful for other spares. No elbow in stock though. I don't have a pipe coming out,  just a hole, so a home made flap might work.

Later cars simply had a hole with a Rubber flap over it?

23 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

Later cars simply had a hole with a Rubber flap over it?

You can buy the entire panel these days, remanufactured (Chic Doig)

Wonder if the flap is still available? Too lazy to go looking... but if Mike isn't too worried about originality that's the way to go. I was very nearly doing that myself and no-one will ever see, to be honest.

DSCF4803.jpg.b61985801a7c45102a415aac6ae43cc4.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...