Refurb engine options

SeanG

Hey everyone, I would need to get a new full engine on exchange basis, I just wanted to know if you knew who can supply it.

Quillers do a very very cheap offer : £1800 for rebuilt unit, and pay £250 on surcharge (not amazing but ok)

I just wondered what are the other options ? thx

Don't go for cheap, engine parts are expensive you pay for what you get. It's cheap for a reason!

I have just spent nearly £700 on a recon head for my 6 cylinder 2.5, this was me doing all the fitting ect

Jigsaw are good or a club exchange engine would be good. 

Hope this helps

If you are not a tssc club member , you need to click on the home page tab and select the club shop

And browse to find engines,

If you are a member you need to login to get member prices or look in the latest club shop brochure

Login is important to show the club members 20% discount

of you wish to join the club there is a link for this also

pete

• Like 1

My post meant you need to do your research on the supplier you mentioned! Carefully.

Then find a supplier who you want to do business with......

I am not up to date with engine costs, probably because it would scare me!

£750 sounds a lot to recon a head, I paid £150 for a spitfire head a few years ago for valve seats etc, so I would have thought a 6 today would be £350 for a clean, valves and seats?? Maybe other work was carried out.

However, it may be worth contacting a local machine shop and get some prices. 

If you are not a tssc club member , you need to click on the home page tab and select the club shop

And browse to find engines,

If you are a member you need to login to get member prices or look in the latest club shop brochure

Login is important to show the club members 20% discount

of you wish to join the club there is a link for this also

pete

on the PDF it says 

2.5Pi/2500/TR250/TR5/TR6              £2574 

so if i m member there is an extra 20% discount on that ?

I've been looking into having my GT6 mk3 engine remanufactured.

I agree with others that you will get what you pay for.  I want a top quality job doing so I'll be going with Ivor Searl. The price they quoted me, which included VAT was the same as the TSSC club price with the discount. Ivor Searl will collect and return your engine (within the UK) for £150 +VAT.  These prices were quoted me in Feb 2015.

Sean

If funds are tight, you would be better off going for a known quantity second-hand engine that can be heard running, or is vouched for by a club member, and then saving up the shekels for a proper remanufactured unit. As others have rightly said on this thread, you really do get what you pay for. If you look at the Federation of engine Remanufacturers website, you will see just what has to be done to gain their accreditation:

http://www.federationofengineremanufacturers.co.uk/

Second-hand units are still out there in peoples garages, and from cars being broken, and a "wants" ad in the Courier may yield something suitable.

Regards

Steve

• Like 1