Gearbox removal 1500 spitfire

BobP

Take the seat squabs out, they are reasonably easy to remove and you don't want to damage them. 

It will come out with the tunnel removed, it just takes a little bit of fiddling to get it out under the dash. 

Taking the propshaft off completely is more work, but makes getting the box out easier (IMHO)

It's possible to lift it out on your own, but 2 people makes it comfortable.

Wooden block and a jack under the back of the sump/engine backplate to carry the back of the engine once the 'box is out - as the box usually carries the back of the engine. 

Depending on equipment/facilities/help available it's a toss-up whether pulling the engine or pulling the gearbox is quickest IMHO. 

when refitting I jack the engine under the sump with a plank of wood which protrudes between the chassis rails, then put another bit of wood of the correct thickness between the first and the backplate then the gearbox can slide along the top plank and align nicely. I take the passenger seat out but removing the squab would work. 

to remove take the gearbox tunnel out, undo the prop bolts, support engine under sump, remove starter, all bellhousing bolts and any electrical connection as well as mount bolts. Raise the engine to clear the prop and "simply" wriggle the box out. oh and protect the floor etc from scrapes and oil.

I believe a high torque starter engages from the opposite side of the starter ring to the std Lucas Bendix unit so replacing the std starter with a high torque could get a second life out of the existing starter ring gear.

Anyone done this and is it that easy a fix? I've heard ref to it but never seen it done.

6 minutes ago, BobP said:

Peter I’ve tried a high torque and std Lucas starter both just make a whirring sound so I’m guessing its the ring gear As everything on the ignition side is new?

I'd start by taking the starter off and peering through the hole at the ring gear and then turning the engine by hand.... just to confirm before pulling the gearbox out?

• Like 1

Bummer re high torque starter option, If you have to replace the ring gear its not to hard send the wife out, ring gear in the oven for 1/2hour and flywheel in the freezer, make sure the flywheel is level and drop the ring gear over it, mine dropped down easily and immediately locked in place, but you only get the one chance!

most so called high torque  or the older  pre engaged lucas actually index the pinion 1/2 tooth every time you actuate its  solenoid

the pinion tooth is chamfered so they dont just rely on the ring gear tooth chamfer like a bendix starter has too .

if you mark a HT or PE  unit pinion actual the engaging solenoid  the marked tooth should nudge round a little each time  you fire it 

this was a basic test we did on any returned warranty starter .that was lucas or paris rhone , and CAV.

just because both starters you have fitted have a problem i agree have a look before you remove the gearbox 

if you fire up the starter whilst adrfit from the back plate do they engage or just spin static, 

be carefull doing this they can bite , and it will need an earth , 

pete