GT6 Mk3 rear tailgate lock

Pbruce9393

I have recently bought a GT6 Mk3 & I have an issue with the locks on the drivers door & the rear tailgate. The drivers door won’t open unless the keys is used in conjunction with the door handle, and the rear tailgate doesn’t lock at all. 
I found these on E-Bay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-Door-Lock-Set-for-TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-GT6-STAG-TR7-2-new-barrels-keys/182228489628 

Can anyone advise me if these barrels are compatible with both lock, or is the rear tailgate a different one.

Also - any recommendations of anywhere else to buy them ? 

Thanks

Peter

https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/door-barrel-pair-matched-keys-3

Paddocks are cheaper initially but I suppose by the time you add VAT and carriage it's closer to the eBay price. They sell the tailgate lock separately. The original had a sliding cover which the replacements don't have, so you may want to replace the barrel and not the entire unit, but they seem hard to find on their own. I've checked three or four major suppliers just now and all of their online catalogues show door locks and boot / tailgate locks as separate items or else a pair of matching door locks, not as a kit of three matching locks. The tailgate is a different barrel shape but I think other posters here posted recently about changing the lock internals so that they match?

Changing the barrels is unlikely to fix the problem. You have to take the door panel off and have a look rods and clips that connect the outside handle to inside handle. I suspect a clip misaligned or come off.

Rear tailgate barrel is different, not so many tumblers. The problem there is likely to be the latching mechanism.

I got fed up with all the keys so took the barrels apart and realigned the tumblers so that one key fitted all. This included the rear hatch and petrol  cap, although they are shorter barrels they use the same tumblers.

Doug

2 hours ago, Pbruce9393 said:

The drivers door won’t open unless the keys is used in conjunction with the door handle, and the rear tailgate doesn’t lock at all.

Peter, if the driver's door needs key and handle then it sounds like the barrel is OK but the lock needs an adjustment or possibly broken mechanism. My passenger door did this for years! Sadly I can't remember what it was except I removed the door card and it had to do with one of the two actuating rods.

As for the tailgate, does the key rotate the barrel? If it does then the barrel is OK but the mechanism is the problem. If the barrel doesn't rotate then it may well be gunged up.

In either case I recommend trying dry PTFE (Teflon) lubricant to free it up. I use this stuff but I'm sure there are other brands. Just make sure it's PTFE, solvent, and nothing else. You should never use oil on locks because it attracts dirt which works its way in and forms a grinding paste.

If you should change your locks then you can transfer the barrels from the old locks (provided they work!) so you keep the original keys all matching.

Cheers, Richard

I have had problems with my locks (not the door latches) for many years. If anyone can point me in the direction of an exploded drawing of the key/tumbler/mechanism, not the remote rods (fixed them at great loss of skin and temper last year) but the actual bit that locks, I would be very grateful. The last time I attempted to sort it out, I evenually managed to get the key to turn and lock the door with difficulty only to find that it wouldn't unlock. The locking bit between the keyhole and the door latch appears to be the problem and I want to try to fix it when I strip the doors down fir re-painting. Resetting the tumblers to use a single key would be good as the door and boot keys are different (Doug can you instruct how you did it please?)

Mr Wolf,

I had different keys for driver's door, passenger door, hatch and petrol cap, very annoying! 

The barrel is held in the door mechanism with a circlip, you can see where it goes here. The bezel the key goes into is quite soft and is easily prised off, then the innards can be removed (pinging everywhere! :)) The tumblers are those bits in the side and can be removed with long nose pliers. I put them in small plastic bags labelled as to position and key number. The ones in the picture have 7 tumblers, I thought my door keys had 6 but I may be wrong, doesn't matter. The rear hatch and petrol cap have only 4. Surprisingly there were only 4 variations of tumbler. It was then easy/tedious to choose one (door) key and re-insert the tumblers in the barrels to match. Then replace the bezel and give it a squeeze.

key.PNG.0c34c81638b0f10c39a5d45aec095e16.PNG

Doug

• Thanks 1