1974 TR6 CR. Die pressed or retro plastic plates?

Geoffrey

I have bought a beautiful Royal Blue 1974 CR.  It has never been registered as a heritage car so comes with modern smooth acrylic plates. These need to be changed.  I cannot decide whether to go for mirror-polished die pressed aluminium (would make the car look older than it is, but suit the colour scheme well) or, what would be correct for the period, black plastic digits on white/yellow metal background.   Have any other owners faced this worrying first-world conundrum?

My car came with Ali plates, although it should have had black on white/yellow. MOT man pointed it out, so I changed them, this was 1978. No one really bothered about the new regs then! And you can have what you like now.

As your paint is not correct for the period anyway, go with what you fancy.

I would also suggest, if that’s all that’s wrong with it, you’re a lucky man, drive and enjoy!

Doug

48 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

My car came with Ali plates, although it should have had black on white/yellow. MOT man pointed it out, so I changed them, this was 1978. No one really bothered about the new regs then! And you can have what you like now.

As your paint is not correct for the period anyway, go with what you fancy.

I would also suggest, if that’s all that’s wrong with it, you’re a lucky man, drive and enjoy!

Doug

Thanks, Doug. 

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

I agree with Doug. My 72 Spit has three sets of plates (before you ask, yes they all have the same number). Plastic on white/yellow, modern flat acrylic and, my preference, silver on black embossed. All a matter of choice/style.

My favourite plates are what I remember as a child; yellow rears and white fronts but with raised black plastic letters. For some reason I want them on my 1967 Herald, despite the fact that it would have had silver on black. As BW says, personal choice!

http://framptonsplates.com/RaisedRivetedBlack.html

I have had a few cars with the plates they left the supplying dealer with.

Some were pressed, but look quite different to those supplied today. But the others were plastic raised digits on Ali plates. And yellow rear, white front. Remember, back then they fitted them as soon as they became legal, who wanted old plates on a brand new car?

So on yours, I would go for plastic raised digits, yellow and white plates. Personal choice of course. I will not be offended if you choose something else!

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

My favourite plates are what I remember as a child; yellow rears and white fronts but with raised black plastic letters. For some reason I want them on my 1967 Herald, despite the fact that it would have had silver on black. As BW says, personal choice!

http://framptonsplates.com/RaisedRivetedBlack.html

Thanks for the link, Colin.  I’ll check it out.