Door mirror fitment, 'Tex style'?

Roger K

I'm fitting some of the modern commonly-available 'Tex style' door mirrors to my '73 Mk3 GT6 and am not wildly happy with the fit.

I remember having these mirrors back in the day, and the small rectangular-section bar that the screws went through into the plastic base gasket piece was definitely metal, whereas the modern repro mirrors have this piece in black plastic.  The mirror, when mounted, moves up and down more than I would like and I think this may be down to the plastic 'wedge' piece.  Does anyone have a fix for this - is it a known problem?  I'm wondering if the best solution would be to fit the components using countersunk bolts and nuts rather than the screws into the plastic mounting piece.

Thanks,

Roger

had the same  plastic  mount/door skin flex on my 2000   used rivenuts and washers to improve the clamping   but still can be vibro on some  roads 

things aint what they used to be , and over tighten the grub screw just wrecks the nasty plastic mount 

i can only guess they are now made to fall off on impact ,  or just cheap 

Pete

Yes the plastic ones are sh t I was fortunate enough to pick up a Few older metal ones which lock up a lot better and the grub screw can be tightened down.

If I hadn’t found the metal ones reckon I’d have made some from m/steel bar.

It would be worth asking members if they have any Old spare ones

I think I'll play safe and make some metal ones up from bar, and use countersunk machine screws and nuts to tighten through the doorskin.  Wouldn't hurt to put a slight curve in the base of the mirror itself, too, to seat better on the plastic gasket on the doorskin.

Just need to work out how to remove the door panel.

11 hours ago, Roger K said:

I think I'll play safe and make some metal ones up from bar, and use countersunk machine screws and nuts to tighten through the doorskin.  Wouldn't hurt to put a slight curve in the base of the mirror itself, too, to seat better on the plastic gasket on the doorskin.

Just need to work out how to remove the door panel.

The metal plinth's sometime turn up on Fleabay in fitting kit's.

Tony.

58 minutes ago, poppyman said:

The metal plinth's sometime turn up on Fleabay in fitting kit's.

Tony.

They do indeed; there's a seller selling them, £12.40 a time, for Spitfire, Dolomite TR7 and MGB with the metal piece included.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tex-Door-Mirror-Fitting-Plinth-Kit-Triumph-Spitfire-TR7-Dolomite-MG-Midget-MGB/322581246700?hash=item4b1b5732ec:g:nDwAAOSwwzhZXmZe

2 hours ago, Roger K said:

Unfortunately the ones in the link are plastic, same as the ones I have and can be bought from Rimmers.

I assumed as they were silver, they were metal? The black plastic ones are certainly not, but as these were shiny-looking... sorry - I reckon I've been looking at the wrong part.

No problem, thanks for the tip!  I don’t think the metal type are going to be available now. I suspect as Pete said, it’s a safety thing. 
Got some ½ x ¼ steel flat to make up metal ones, and as said before I’ll pop the door panel off to fit them properly. 
Anyone know how it comes off? The usual spring clips?

Just now, Roger K said:

No problem, thanks for the tip!  I don’t think the metal type are going to be available now. I suspect as Pete said, it’s a safety thing. 
Got some ½ x ¼ steel flat to make up metal ones, and as said before I’ll pop the door panel off to fit them properly. 
Anyone know how it comes off? The usual spring clips?

Check either end for a small screw or Allen screw... do you have a photo of the one you need? I can keep an eye out in case one appears.