Sill Replacement - Garage/ Fitter recommendations

kippermcflipper

Hi, I am in Bedfordshire; I am looking for someone to replace the inner / outer sill on my spitfire to improve the drivers door gap, so far the big vendors have asked anything upwards of £2.5k per side? Seems a little high? Any good recommendations of a quality welder that could do the job properly? Many thanks!

Just now, kippermcflipper said:

so far the big vendors have asked anything upwards of £2.5k per side? Seems a little high? 

High? That's astronomical. Even at £40 per hour that's 60 hours.... per side?

The panels themselves are between £100 and £120 each side, thats outer sill, inner sill and strengthener if all are required (plus VAT of course).

Someone from your area is bound to know someone who can do it for much less. 

That does sound a little high, even taking the price I was quoted for a Toledo sill (which is much harder) some years ago and adjusting for inflation.

Unfortunately the two places I've used for such work over the years have both stopped doing Triumphs (one retired, the other now does custom conversions)

I found Finishline at Graveley near Baldock very helpful. They've recently repaired the rear quarter of my GT6 (bodged by another local garage a couple of years ago) and repainted the microblistered areas of the car. I know a few people who have had work completed by them and all report positively.

I suspect the reason for the high quotations you are receiving is that undoing poor previous repairs is considerably more time consuming than simply replacing a sill whilst maintaining the factory door gap. Worth taking the car to Chris at Finishline and talking through what you want to achieve.

Gully