Vitesse Front Seat. 2L Mk1 or 2L Mk2 or Saloon or Convertible.

68vitesse

I take it Paul your exisiting straps were ok as otherwise they would have been difficult to source new? Also was piano wire sufficient as I thought they would be spring steel to take the loading from said straps?

My Memory of "Piano Wire", from the days when I did make Model Aircraft, is that is was a "spring" steel. Used primarliy but not exclusively for Undercarriages. It was a right "bitch" to work with, that I do remember.

Pete

On 21/01/2024 at 16:07, daverclasper said:

Could firm, foam be re-used from a quality, though scruffy sofa, that folk chuck out?. it can be shaped with a chefs electric meat saw, etc

I use a kitchen electric carving knife , works well 

Paul 

2 hours ago, johny said:

I take it Paul your exisiting straps were ok as otherwise they would have been difficult to source new? Also was piano wire sufficient as I thought they would be spring steel to take the loading from said straps?

I shortened the straps, the strap ends were stitched so an easy job or make your own from Pirelli webbing. As said piano wire is springy and if the bends are not to sharp will not crack.

Regards

Paul

• Thanks 1

To be clear the straps l shortened were the convertible ones, the first picture in his post is of the seat I did not fit, after all the work making straps and wire supports, because of the reduced leg room.

Regards

Paul.

On 23/01/2024 at 17:55, johny said:

Passenger side never had the height ajustment blocks only driver

Ah..... didnt realise.  I've gone ahead a ordered for both...... not a major cost in the grand scheme....... 

Rimmers have agreed to take back the incorrectly (Mk1) delivered parts and are shipping Mk2 replacements as I type...... 

The (Newton Commercials) instructions supplied recommend dealing with the base first (common to both Marks) and to replace the rubber diaphragm.  The replacement was of a slightly different design to the original.  I had therefore to drill some extra 3mm holes in the frame to take the steel 'staples' supplied with the diaphragm.  These take a bit of force to stretch and a second pair of hands to locate whilst stretching to fit.

to be continued........

20240125_123824.jpg

20240125_125631.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Seat refurb saga continues.....
some progress today finishing the seat base...... It was a bit of a pig of a job stretching the base cover over the foam, helped by liberal use of the wife's hairdryer to soften and stretch the fabric and a second pair of hands to press down on the base at the edge whilst the clips were squeezed in with a pair of pliers..... Also attached the back to the frame and straps with glue.  Leaving it to dry before wrapping it over the top and attaching at the back.....
More to follow soon I hope...

20240204_145216.jpg

20240204_154054.jpg

20240204_165849.jpg

• Like 2

use an bin liner or old net curtain over the foam helps the white knuckle ride to get the covers over the foam  and use cable ties rather than 

those awful hog rings cant be seen and far easier to tension up as you go 

any odd wrinkles can be steamed out with a bit of pipe as a wand in the wallpaper stripper 

Pete

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

use an bin liner or old net curtain over the foam helps the white knuckle ride to get the covers over the foam  and use cable ties rather than 

those awful hog rings cant be seen and far easier to tension up as you go 

any odd wrinkles can be steamed out with a bit of pipe as a wand in the wallpaper stripper 

Pete

Pete

Thanks for the tip....... cable ties?   Where exactly would you recommend fitting these.... I am a little unclear........

Struggling with fitting the seat back cover. Specifically getting the cover down far enough to allow the cover to be clipped to the frame at the bottom.  The instructions refer to a calico flap to be pulled down.  There are two flaps one attached to the rear cover, one attached to the front cover.  Do both need to be pulled down to the rear (the front one through the foam slit)??  I haven't been able to pull the cover down far enough to leave sufficient material to clip to the frame.......

Am I doing it right?  Are there are tips or tricks I have missed?

20240210_153928.thumb.jpg.e4685176fb910149559c409c1698ffe0.jpg