Vitesse Front Seat. 2L Mk1 or 2L Mk2 or Saloon or Convertible.

68vitesse

Been working on a seat for my Vitesse had to remake all the back wires but one, seems very fussy design. The elastic strapping for the seat base has minimal stretch and the back ones a bit more following advice from an upholsterer.

Did think about doing away with the wires, putting the back strapping all the way across and using foam for the side bolsters.

Regards

Paul

IMG_20201101_154430.jpg

• Like 2

Great Job Paul😃

I opted for the Newton Kit & Foams for the back rest side Bolsters when I had my Mk2 seats rebuilt by my Brother-in-law.

The wire sprung arrangement seems very complicated and some of mine had snapped.

They looked more or less original when finished

Gary

Interior 2 - 2006.JPG

Vitesse Interior 3 - 2013.JPG

• Like 1

Needed some more of the edge clips, Rimmers £17.10 for 20 plus delivery ordered a 100 of eBay about five last night, Monday, from a firm in Loughborough.

Delivered to Norwich before eleven today, Tuesday, £10.99 all in, so have plenty of spares, already tried one an excellent fit.

Regards

Paul

Getting a bit confused, my supplier's parts manuals all show the Vitesse front seat with the wire side supports and the longer foam rollover on the top as being Mk2 2L. The Stanpart spares catalogue I have in the 2L supplement section shows this seat, it only shows the 2L Mk1 cylinder head, grill etc. so not any 2L Mk2 parts. I also have some front seats from a very early Mk1 2L which also have the longer rollover, this car was complete and I believe very original when I bought it.

Interested in knowing which is correct and why.

Regards

Paul

1604606148595441211967.jpg

Now wondering if the seats are not Mk1 or Mk2 but Saloon or Convertible, tried the first high back seat, Mk2?, in the car yesterday which reduces the leg room by several inches over the low back seat.

The parts manual does list a change to the seat frame etc. for the convertible.

Regards

Paul

I've just had a quick look at the Canley Classic site which uses pages from the Original Stanpart Parts catalogue's, it shows 2 Litre Mk1 Seats with the Wire type Side Bolster supports too, I always though these were unique to the Mk2?

I never realized either that there are High & Low back type seats, but had read in the past that the Convertible seats are different to the Saloon, presumably the Low back type are for the Convertible so they can be slid back further without fouling the 'B' Posts?

I'm sure an Original Parts Book for the Mk2 Vitesse would help but I sold mine when I sold my Vitesse😕

Gary   

19 hours ago, daverclasper said:

My Mk1 has the wire side bolsters. I think the seats are original to the car. 

Is your car Saloon or Convertible if Convertible early or late?.

Pictures from the Stanpart spares catalogue for Vitesse 1600 and 2L models the 2L supplement section.

The supplement section does not show any of the Mk2 changes to dash rear suspension etc.

Regards

Paul

16050002562991813912473.jpg

1605000318087729686164.jpg

• 68vitesse changed the title to Vitesse Front Seat. 2L Mk1 or 2L Mk2 or Saloon or Convertible.
3 hours ago, daverclasper said:

It's a 67 saloon

Dave

Then from the parts manual the wire frame seats are correct, I drive a 68 Mk1 Convertible hence the question. I also own, in a dismantled state, a very early 2L Mk1 Convertible engine and commission numbers less than two hundred this had the wire frame seats fitted which again tends to agree with the parts manual.

Regards

Paul

• 3 years later...

Apologies for bumping an old topic, but as a warning to those contemplating refurbishing the front seats on the Vitesse 2 Litre Mk1, don't do what I did. 🤦‍♂️

I blindly ordered a full set of replacement items from Rimmers to refurb mine before dismantling.  Upon dismantling I find that the seat frame has the wires on each side, a coup[le of which have fractured and the squab strap kit as specified for the Mk1 don't fit.  

I'm at the supplier's mercy now as to how I get this mess sorted out....... 🙏

I will let you know the outcome.

20240120_122406.jpg

I take it you bought RH5112 but need to swop it for RV6019 which looks to be designed for use without the squab wires. Rimmers do the latter in a kit (RV6113) which comes with the foam but as far as I can make out this adds 120 quid to the price!!! 

1 hour ago, johny said:

I take it you bought RH5112 but need to swop it for RV6019 which looks to be designed for use without the squab wires. Rimmers do the latter in a kit (RV6113) which comes with the foam but as far as I can make out this adds 120 quid to the price!!! 

Johny..... I think you might be right....... already a v. expensive repair when you add all the stuff up I've already bought.  Hoping I can return the unused bits for some sort of refund.... 🙏

would have thought thats possible especially if youre going to get the right ones from them. However it looks like there are no parts for use with the wires so they have to be chucked even if good. Then the pricing maybe an error as it appears to be cheaper (a bit) to buy the straps and foam separately...

Heres the instructions from Rimmers: 

SF4025_Fitting_Instructions.pdf

4 hours ago, johny said:

would have thought thats possible especially if youre going to get the right ones from them. However it looks like there are no parts for use with the wires so they have to be chucked even if good. Then the pricing maybe an error as it appears to be cheaper (a bit) to buy the straps and foam separately...

Heres the instructions from Rimmers: 

SF4025_Fitting_Instructions.pdf 81.23 kB · 2 downloads

Yes, the wires are no longer available so therefore the replacement parts available should take this into account.   In the meantime I've stripped the seat down to the frame, given it a rotary wire brushing, silver solder repaired one of the spacers, primed and rust coated it........ awaiting Rimmers now..... will let you know how I get on.

20240120_153707.jpg

20240120_160003.jpg

20240120_173524.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, johny said:

Yes be interested to see how it goes as got to do mine soon. Cant believe the cost of the foam so will be looking for an alternative...

Sadly, foam per-se has become exceedingly expensive, I bought some to make seat bases for my Desk Chair. Silly money for what seemed to be a small amount, nearly justifying the scrapping and replacement of the whole chair.🙄 "for the want of a Nail the battle was lost". Yet we are being constantly urged to "reuse/recycle"?.

Pete

Ok..... so........ the Squab Foam Pads (RH5101 * 2) and Squab Strap Kits (RH5112 * 2) I originally ordered are incorrect for the MK2 seat. The Seat Trim Kit (RV6048BLACK) is also incorrect. The top roll-over section is longer on the MK2.

I think they should be replaced by Squab Foam and Strap Conversion Kit (RV6113 * 2) and the MK2 Trim Kit - Black (RV6057BLACK).  The conversion kit is required because the wires that run down each side of the squab frame are knackered and no longer available.  I don't fancy trying to re-manufacture them myself although it would not be impossible.  

The car is also missing the rubber blocks used for seat height adjustment (608759). On the passenger side they are missing entirely. On the driver's side they've been replaced with a lump of wood!

image.png.29449f093fa2feed25cab674a18005cc.png

Rimmers have agreed to swap the wrongly ordered parts.....

yes and for future reference mk1 and mk2 has nothing to do with the model of car just the design of the seat but as you say it looks easy to tell which you have by measuring the top roll over section. With the mk2 style I think even if your wires are good everyone is going to have to use the conversion kit as this is all thats supplied now... 

Passenger side never had the height ajustment blocks only driver

• Like 1

On 21/01/2024 at 16:07, daverclasper said:

Could firm, foam be re-used from a quality, though scruffy sofa, that folk chuck out?. it can be shaped with a chefs electric meat saw, etc

Possibly, one problem may be that early day foam`s tend to degrade and flake with age, I attempted to cover some patio furniture seats a few years back, Sun damage, the amount of dust/flakey foam bits was quite extensive. We suceeded in the end, but it would have been so tempting just the replace the whole set. By my reckoning, a bit like Car restoration, if you factor in the "labour", you`d be way out of pocket!.

Pete

• Like 1