Spitfire 1500 rear spring. Choices

I didn't think I'd been that light footed! I had a at least one run on the motorway (A mistake!) so was running at 70mph for a good while!

Trouble is around here that the speed limits are being reduced all the time - what used to be a 60limit near here is now a 30 - it was reduced to 40 fairly soon after it was re-opened. Despite no houses being directly on the road - all down to some child not looking and getting killed - so rather than re-enforce education - Green Cross Code and all that - just penalise the motorist. Loads more are now 50 from 60 - for no apparent reason.  And many, particularly Birmingham which are 20.

I'm actually thinking of driving into Brum tomorrow in the Spitfire - the day the new charge comes in, because the Spit is exempt ;) 

8 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Trouble is around here that the speed limits are being reduced all the time - what used to be a 60limit near here is now a 30 - it was reduced to 40 fairly soon after it was re-opened. Despite no houses being directly on the road - all down to some child not lookin g and getting killed - so rather than re-enforce education - Green Cross Code and all that - just penalise the motorist. Loads more are now 50 from 60 - for no apparent reason. 

East Riding Council, are at the same thing, perfectly good roads with a 60 national limit, now down to 50, and in some cases 40. When it first happened I had a car that recorded 50mpg at 60mph in 6th gear. (auto gearbox). To stay at 50 it would not change up to 6th, and no way of "forcing" it, the EMC just would not change up. What this meant in real terms was the mpg was lower by a good 5mpg running in 5th. Effectively the reduced limit was costing us money, and of course more pollution too.

If some of them had brains they`d be dangerous.

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

East Riding Council, are at the same thing, perfectly good roads with a 60 national limit, now down to 50, and in some cases 40. When it first happened I had a car that recorded 50mpg at 60mph in 6th gear. (auto gearbox). To stay at 50 it would not change up to 6th, and no way of "forcing" it, the EMC just would not change up. What this meant in real terms was the mpg was lower by a good 5mpg running in 5th. Effectively the reduced limit was costing us money, and of course more pollution too.

If some of them had brains they`d be dangerous.

The other issue is that driving so slowly especially (I’m thinking more the 20mph zones) in modern cars is that the are so easy to drive you stop concentrating properly and miss the important things if you aren’t careful.