GT6 rear spring orientation?

I'm now fitting the new rear spring to my late non-roto Mk111 GT6.  As ever, the shop manual doesn't include any mention of the swing spring, so I have to go on instinct.  What the shop manual does do, is to say the spring will have 'front' marked on it.  There are no markings whatsoever on my spring, but I can see no obvious reason why it would matter which way around it goes, unless the spring is set slightly stiffer on the driver's side.

Does it matter, and if it does, how can I work out which way round it should go?  Bolt heads on the clamps towards the front, or back?  Also, does it matter which way the bolt through the centre pivot tube is facing?

There are no torque figures for the studs into the diff, or the nuts holding the spring 'house' down.  Same as for Mk1, despite there being only 4?

Thanks,

Roger

I just do the clamp bolts to rear, for no particular reason. 

There is a rumour the "front" thing was just to stop the same question being asked time and time again. Bit like a coil spring, which way up?

As to torque, I have always just done them "tight", but I suspect that is the same figure as the earlier cars. (I only use a torque wrench for engine assembly)

I found the FRONT stamping very confusing on my Mk2 Vitesse, I fitted the front stamping to the front ie bulkhead end BUT the stamping was then upside down ie read FRONT from the bulkhead side, so I trial fitted the spring with the FRONT stamping to the rear where it could be read normally ie standing at the back FRONT stamping was normal. I found this all confusing WHY didn't Triumph put the FRONT stamping the right was round when located on the front of the spring and viewed from the rear!

Are you confussed!

I actually fitted it with the reversed FRONT stamping to the front, BUT it has been discussed previously on the forum and I think the conclusion was there's no difference.

all that  has happened way back maybe on the lost forum  same conundrum 

I  reckon it  was identified to aid queries on  the production  line 

why its upside down would be down to the manufacturer  

the general consensus was as you found  it doesnt matter the spring is not handed or biased in any way 

who knows     ?????  someone somewhere 

Pete